Menu

Science rotations and opinions plz

kwickimom

Hi, if you have a minute could you list what you did for Science for K-6?

Also...DD did a little Bio is ps. We are doing Chem this year for 3rd. She has no interest in doing Physics and we will do Gen Sci in 7th and Physics in 8th so I am not going to stick to the WTM Science recs and make her do physics next year.

If you had 4th, 5th, and 6th left WWYD? I am leaning towards Apologia and we like the looks of all the Zoo's, Astronomy, Botany and Human Body. Cant fit em all in LOL So do you think any one of these is more important to do than the others or should we just pick 3 top choices and go with it? We could do some over the summers, but we prob wont :tongue_smilie:

This thread includes a very detailed and inspiring discussion of the way 8FilltheHeart does science for K through 6th or so. I'm also doing interest-led science with my 7th & 3rd grader this year — currently a mix of Biology (arthropods, next will be the human body, to take advantage of the traveling "Bodies" exhibit), Chemistry (Kitchen Chemistry + studying the periodic table using cards & games), and Astronomy (books, documentaries, TC course, night sky observations). We've also done some optics experiments for Physics. In the spring we'll be adding Geology & Meteorology, moving into botany for Biology, chemical reactions for Chmistry, ballistics for Physics, etc.

Jackie

Edited by Corraleno
additional info

Hi, if you have a minute could you list what you did for Science for K-6?

Also...DD did a little Bio is ps. We are doing Chem this year for 3rd. She has no interest in doing Physics and we will do Gen Sci in 7th and Physics in 8th so I am not going to stick to the WTM Science recs and make her do physics next year.

If you had 4th, 5th, and 6th left WWYD? I am leaning towards Apologia and we like the looks of all the Zoo's, Astronomy, Botany and Human Body. Cant fit em all in LOL So do you think any one of these is more important to do than the others or should we just pick 3 top choices and go with it? We could do some over the summers, but we prob wont :tongue_smilie:

We use a combo of Apologia, Christian kids Explore and God's Design for Science. We use Apologia for Zoology 1, 2 and 3, Astronomy, Botany and Human Anatomy. We use God's Design for Science for The Physical World, Matter and Motion, Weather and Water (we do this with Astronomy) and a few others I can not think of at the moment, and we have Christian Kids Explore Chemistry-- then we go onto Apologia from 7th on up. Now, since we use the elementary books to get everything covered (and we have them)I allow the kids to chose what order they do them in. So it is a sort of interest based I guess.

This thread includes a very detailed and inspiring discussion of the way 8FilltheHeart does science for K through 6th or so. I'm also doing interest-led science with my 7th & 3rd grader this year — currently a mix of Biology (arthropods, next will be the human body, to take advantage of the traveling "Bodies" exhibit), Chemistry (Kitchen Chemistry + studying the periodic table using cards & games), and Astronomy (books, documentaries, TC course, night sky observations). We've also done some optics experiments for Physics. In the spring we'll be adding Geology & Meteorology, moving into botany for Biology, chemical reactions for Chmistry, ballistics for Physics, etc.

Jackie

Thank you..that is a GREAT thread.

We use a combo of Apologia, Christian kids Explore and God's Design for Science. We use Apologia for Zoology 1, 2 and 3, Astronomy, Botany and Human Anatomy. We use God's Design for Science for The Physical World, Matter and Motion, Weather and Water (we do this with Astronomy) and a few others I can not think of at the moment, and we have Christian Kids Explore Chemistry-- then we go onto Apologia from 7th on up. Now, since we use the elementary books to get everything covered (and we have them)I allow the kids to chose what order they do them in. So it is a sort of interest based I guess.

I have been looking at Gods Design also. I am thinking about just having my youngers tag along with DD until she reaches 6th and then I am going to put her basically on her own for 6-8th with Apologia and start them on their own path together. Thats why I was thinking of just doing all Apologia, just on a deeper level when they repeat. But I think it looks too advanced for the youngers even though it says K+. So I then was liking Gods Design....hmmm.

I am kinda just stuck wondering what exact subjects to make sure and get it, or if it really matters much what they do until about 5th grade. I want to make sure to introduce it all at least before that.

1 and 2 I did bio and then earthsci/astro. For 3rd grad I'm doing 6 month chem and 6 months physics. N.B: There is a lot of fun physics that can be snuck into chem.

For 4th grade I intend to review bio and earth, go to a star party and another telescope, and do some more advanced chem and physics hands on.

For 5th, 6, 7th, 8th, I intend to stick on the bio-earth-chem-physics track, but have abpit 1/4 of the year in review of the non-that-year topics and some experiments in each that is age appropriate. It will be the especially "fun" part of each year. In 8th I intend to start introducing science ethics and controversies, and more history of, say, the theory of evolution, rather than just biographies for history.