Menu

advice?

Has anyone had a male family member who did not want to get a needle biopsy to try to diagnose prostate cancer? In a DRE a nodule was found. PSA is like 1.4. Seems very low. Family member has no other symptoms. He does have kidney stones, and stones are an option as to what the nodule could be. Not kidney stones of course, but stones. Whatever that would mean. Dr. wants to do a needle biopsy, family member is apprehensive. Many people think needle biopsies spread cancer cells to outside of the prostate--therefore causing more problems--spreading cancer... Many times, the biopsies have false negatives. That just requires more biopsies.

I've read about color sonograms, that show if there is prostate cancer. His Dr. isn't interested in discussing it. At this time, everywhere I find that does these are located out of state. We are in Texas.

Dr. is pretty headstrong that all he will do is needle biopsy. Argh. Family member feels pretty certain that he does not want a needle biopsy.

However, none of us want family member to have cancer.

Can anyone help here with advice?

I'd do some calling around to other urologists to see if there are options. My Dad is needing to have it done as his PSA was elevated in his blood tests last week and he's been having a few issues. I haven't read up on any of it, yet, but thanks for reminding me to do so.

i had a large needle biopsy done of my thyroid and it discovered cancer that the ultrasound had missed, and that a small needle biopsy would have missed. i was lucky that the doctor doing it took a look at the ultrasound and saw something he couldn't articulate but that had him ask if he could switch to a large needle. he just had a "gut feeling" about it.

did i want it? no. am i ever so thankful i had it? yes.

so i'd say "want" is not a verb that applies here. does he "need" it? if so, then he needs to do it. i'd google search and see what the success rates are for each type of treatment and then decide from there. but if he has confidence in the doctor, then i'd give a fair amount of weight to the doctor thinking this is the way to go.

fwiw,

ann

Needle biopsy confirmed my husband's prostate cancer last March. He had a low PSA as well. There is really no other way (less invasive) to know for sure.

Was it pleasant? Nope. Are we thankful he had it done? Absolutely. Prostate cancer, when caught early (before it has spread outside the walls of the prostate) is very treatable. My husband is officially cancer free. :D

However, this is a very private decision. We really didn't ask for input from other family members, and I wouldn't ever offer "advice" on best choice of treatment etc. for this particular issue to anyone other than my husband. Sharing our story is not out of the question though. :grouphug:

Needle biopsy confirmed my husband's prostate cancer last March. He had a low PSA as well. There is really no other way (less invasive) to know for sure.

May I ask what sort of treatment your husband had? Did they do radiation?

For what it's worth, it isn't a matter of not wanting the biopsy. It is a matter of not wanting to spread any cancer through needle biopsy. I have found a place (in California) that does power color doppler sonograms instead of needle biopsies. I just am trying to find somewhere closer that does them. Since a negative on the biopsy doesn't mean anything (it could just mean that they didn't get any cancer cells in the biopsy...) It makes it very frustrating to go through with it. IF they don't find cancer cells this time, then they'll just want to biopsy again next year. And keep going until they do. And from what I understand most men will eventually get prostate cancer, if they get old enough, and most of the cancers are so slow that the man dies from something else first. It just makes this all very frustrating and confusing.

Not all prostate cancers are slow growing. Only a biopsy can tell which type it is.

Not all are slow growing, but the biopsy is not good at telling the "type". Some tests on the tissue help a little, but it isn't a black and white thing on the biopsy. Unfortunately.

Wikipedia as a very decent discussion of the disease and the screening, and the movement is definitely away from screening, as a good effect on survival is not clear in most studies.