Menu

HOD-Little Hearts for His Glory users....schedule question~

Neesy

Okay, my question is...how do you organize your day?

What order do you do the different "boxes"? Just curious...what does YOUR schedule look like? We prefer to NOT spread it out over the course of the day (ie..back-to-back w/ snack, potty, recess, lunch break woven in :))

ONLY post your schedule if you are using this ONE guide, please. I just have my two youngest homeschooling and they are both in the same book and it probably will just confuse me if you give me a complicated schedule with 4 other kids! LOL.....even though I USED to be one of you;). Gettin' too old for that and down to my last two now....ahhh........

Thanks so much!!

Blessings,

Denise

We are using LHFHG this year with a couple of other things added in. I try to alternate types of activities. DS would rebel if I made him sit and do all the writing at one time so I separate those. This is the order we use and we are usually done in 1 1/2 -2 hours if that.

Rhymes in Motion

Reading About History

Handwriting - we are using ARFH but we do it everyday and not how it is scheduled in the guide

Bible Study

ETC & Hooked on Phonics - if you are using HOD suggestions I guess you could add those here

Math

AWANA - we just practice our verse for the week

Fine Motor Skills - We also do these everyday and not according to the schedule. I also added in the other books in the series from Rod & Staff. We do about 2 pages a day

Storytime

Rotating Box - I save this one for last so if it's a messy art project or a fun dramatic play we don't have to stop and get back to other things.

I am using LHFHG with 2 boys (K & 1st). I try to alternate between harder (sitting/listening/writing) and easier/funner tasks as well.

1. History

2. Bible

3. Reading (1st does Emerging Readers while K does starfall.com)

3. Reading (K does The Reading Lesson while 1st does starfall.com)

4. Rhymes

5. Fine Motor Skills

6 & 7. Music/Storytime/Snack/Break - I turn on the music while I prepare the snack. While we eat the snack, I read the story. Then I give them a short break if I need a little time to set up for art/science if necessary.

8. Math

9. Rotating box (art/science/drama)

Since they play a little in the morning, we sit down for history. Bible is normally throwing a ball or a kleenex, so that's up and about again. Settle back down for reading. Back up for rhymes. Back down for fine motor. Snack time is a break & I let them have a few minutes to run around. Back down for math and then back up (mostly) for the rotating box. Hope that makes sense! It sounds tiring but it has worked really well for my two boys! :001_smile:

Oh I'm so happy to see this thread. I don't know anyone in my area who uses this curriculum. I'm using the first level for my 2 year old and it's AWESOME.

Is this method more Well-Trained Mind or Charlotte Mason. Or, are those two terms interchangeable?

I just know that I like how everything in the method weaves together.

atara - HOD is CM, WTM is classical. The two terms (CM and WTM) are not interchangeable. Try searching on CM vs. Classical or maybe someone else can pipe up on the primary differences.

In addition to WTM boards, I also do the HOD boards:

http://www.heartofdakota.com/board3/viewforum.php?f=6

and the HOD Yahoo Group. Lots of extra support to help you along your HOD journey! Glad you're enjoying it! :)

I'm also eager to hear this, since we'll be starting LHFHG pretty soon. I also like the idea of interchanging the more active boxes with the seatwork ones, but it confuses me a bit when I try to picture it. We sit on our living room couch to read anything, and then do writing/ art/etc. at a table in another room. Do you ever feel like you're constantly moving back and forth around the house? Maybe it wouldn't be a big deal, I can just picture losing momentum during the transition times.

The variety was good for us but I had to move things like acting out or rhyme in motion that made my kids crazy and hard to corral to the end of the lessons. So if history or bible involved something like acting out it moved to the last thing we did. Otherwise we did: History/bible box, any activity in the "extra box" that wasn't something that would get us too excited and hyper, verse and any devotional we did, phonics and handwriting, literature box, rhyme in motion or hyper making whatever, math later in the day after a break.

Edited by sbgrace

I am using LHFHG with 2 boys (K & 1st). I try to alternate between harder (sitting/listening/writing) and easier/funner tasks as well.

1. History

2. Bible

3. Reading (1st does Emerging Readers while K does starfall.com)

3. Reading (K does The Reading Lesson while 1st does starfall.com)

4. Rhymes

5. Fine Motor Skills

6 & 7. Music/Storytime/Snack/Break - I turn on the music while I prepare the snack. While we eat the snack, I read the story. Then I give them a short break if I need a little time to set up for art/science if necessary.

8. Math

9. Rotating box (art/science/drama)

Since they play a little in the morning, we sit down for history. Bible is normally throwing a ball or a kleenex, so that's up and about again. Settle back down for reading. Back up for rhymes. Back down for fine motor. Snack time is a break & I let them have a few minutes to run around. Back down for math and then back up (mostly) for the rotating box. Hope that makes sense! It sounds tiring but it has worked really well for my two boys! :001_smile:

Sounds like us :)

Since your guys are prob. around the same age as ours, I wanted to share....

This is the silliest thing, but my boys beg to start school because the first thing we do is I read the Bible related reading/lessons and pray first, while they eat a pack of fruit gummies (a real treat for them). Sometimes the littlest things make all the difference! lol

We are also using Starfall...isn't it GREAT!?:D

I find it easier to do the 3 R's first ,when they are young. Then they can just lounge around when they are more tired and I can read to them. Most of the time I would do Storytime during lunch.

That's awesome that you can do that! I'm with Stephanie, my guys would rebel. LOL Actually, they just wouldn't learn as well. By the time we got to math if I stuck all three "desk" lessons together, the boys might "look" like they're sitting still and listening, but inside their head they'd be saying, "can I go...can I go...can I gooooo....can I huh?huh?huh? can I? HUUUUHHH???? Can I move? can I move? can I mooooooove????" LOL:lol: Needless to say, if that's what's going on in their head when I'm trying to teach them a math concept, I'm better off letting them blow off the steam and come back when they can concentrate better. We are also using a cd called Music for Concentration and one called Music for Learning.....testin' out that Mozart research! :001_smile:

I did have to let them get up between lessons and run around, but it was only for a few minutes. I just meant it was better for us if they did math, writing, & phonics earlier in the day vs. waiting and doing other things first.

This is exactly what I do, and it works out great. I do read the Bible lesson first thing, though.

I have found, for us, that it is better to get everything done before lunch...otherwise school seems to drag out all day. If I am running late, however, the schedule shifts back far enough so that we do storytime during lunch (instead of using it for a snack). Letting them eat during reading helps them listen better. ;)

It really doesn't feel like we're jumping around at all. We sit in the family room for history. Then we all stand up right there and throw a ball around or a kleenex or whatever with our Bible study verses. Then we move to our play room. I read with both of them on the couch back there, then we do the rhyme on the floor back there, then we sit down at the table back there to do handwriting/fine motor. Once fine motor is done, they are excited to run get a snack (which takes care of music and storytime). At the end all we have is the run rotating box which is also typically more fun/exciting. :)

One thing to note, my boys aren't the type to get "lost" every time we get up and move around. I guess some children could get "out of school" mode and not want to get back in. At our house, all of school seems fun (except maybe handwriting) so there isn't an "out" or "in" school mode. It depends upon your kids.

HTH.

We used Little Hearts last year and this was our schedule:

Block 1

• Reading About History
  • Bible Study
  • Phonics (The Reading Lesson)

Block 2

• Math
  • Fine Motor Skills
  • Rhyme and Music
  • Rotating Second Box
  • Storytime (during or after lunch)