Menu

Dr. Hive, can you please help me?

On Monday night I was washing potatoes and used my thumbnail to get the eyes out of a couple of them. I guess some of the potato got stuck under my thumb. Yesterday, it hurt a little. Last night I cut the nail way back and was able to get some of the potato out. It looks like I got all of it, but this morning, it is throbbing and swollen. I couldn't sleep last night because of it. Why does this still hurt so much?

What can I do? Should I go to the doctor today? I don't want it to get infected.

Soak it in warm water & Epsom salt.

Getting things under your nails hurts so bad! :grouphug: Hope it feels better soon.

Dh is headed to the local CVS for it.

It really hurts! Have I mentioned that yet? :lol: Like, it hurts to push the space bar when I type. Seriously, I was in tears in the middle of the night.

Thanks!!!!

After soaking, I'd cover it with antibiotic ointment and a guaze bandage to cushion it a little.

It's really tender because the skin underneath our nails is meant to be protected and that skin not intended to be disturbed. Years ago, I was at a meeting and reached into my bookbag and my thumb had an unfortunate meeting with the lead from my mechanical pencil. It jammed up 1/2 inch up under the nail and I had to go to ER to have it taken out. Expect it to hurt like crazy for awhile but if redness or swelling persists you'd better hit up the doctor.

I feel like such a wimp!!! Thank you everyone! Dh went to CVS and I've been soaking it in Epsom Salts. I think it's working as I can use the space bar again!

After soaking, I'd cover it with antibiotic ointment and a guaze bandage to cushion it a little.

It's really tender because the skin underneath our nails is meant to be protected and that skin not intended to be disturbed. Years ago, I was at a meeting and reached into my bookbag and my thumb had an unfortunate meeting with the lead from my mechanical pencil. It jammed up 1/2 inch up under the nail and I had to go to ER to have it taken out. Expect it to hurt like crazy for awhile but if redness or swelling persists you'd better hit up the doctor.

Yea. That is really gross!!!!! OUCH!! How long did it take for the swelling to go away?

Last night I covered it with the ointment and a bandaid and woke up to it throbbing. I took off the bandaid and soaked it in ice water.

I'd use the antibiotic ointment on with a bandage too. Hope it feels better.:grouphug:

Thanks!

If you have some tea tree oil, mix it in a one drop to three of a carrier oil (even a cooking oil will work, I like coconut oil) and though it's going to hurt, rub it into the infected area. Asprin seems to work better for throbbing pain than tylenol.

Faith

I do have tea tree oil! I'll have to use that after I finish soaking it. Ibuprofen has been my friend today. And, I'm not one who takes medications often at all!!!

Yea. That is really gross!!!!! OUCH!! How long did it take for the swelling to go away?

Yeah, I was pretty queasy when I saw what had happened.

They had to cut out a section of the nail and I believe it was swollen for a few days, but I'm pretty sure they sent me home with a script for an antibiotic. It was tender for awhile though.

I did get a Snoopy pencil case courtesy of a friend looking out for my well being out of the deal. I still have it, too. ;)