Menu

Longer read alouds for young girls????

I am looking for read alouds for my almost 5 year old. Her 3.5yo sister may listen in sometimes but the focus is on the 5yo. I read her tinkerbell and while she seemed to like it almost every other sentence had words that I would have to explain what they meant. I am looking for something a little longer that would take a few short reading sessions to finish, but that has a few pictures and is written in simple language for a 5yo. Any suggestions???

I vote for keeping reading what you're reading. So long as they can maintain interest, that challenging vocab is exactly what you want!! They'll learn. . . keep at it!

FWIW, Winnie the Pooh & Paddington are two of my fave collections for those ages. Shorter stories, but very appealling content for those ages and plenty of great vocab.

I second the My Father's Dragon books, Winnie the Pooh, Charlotte's Web and Roald Dahl. Also, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, Mr. Popper's Penguins, Flat Stanley...

My boys also like a number of series books as read alouds (including a bunch of girl ones) like Ivy and Bean or even The Magic Treehouse (though I've stopped doing that one - they're perfect for understanding story and character for children new to non-picture books or new to reading independently but the reason they're good for that is that they're horribly repetitive and it drove me nuts).

Also, I always recommend The Jamie and Angus Stories by Anne Fine to all new read aloud parents. I think it's the perfect first read aloud. It's just so sweet.