Menu

Help needed managing children's needs....

Free Indeed

I have 5 children that I am teaching ages 7-14. They are 2nd- 8th grades. I am wearing thin. There is not enough of me to go around. We usually do Bible (several things), history, and read aloud together (using Biblioplan/Sonlight core 3 loosely). Then we break for independent work. Here is where it gets difficult. There is an 11yo boy living with us that has been ps his entire life, and not in a good home- hence how he came to be with us. He is so behind in math, and reading that I wonder how he made it to 5th grade. He has no recall. When I ask for narrations after reading something he just can't remember. He reads and comprehends on a 2nd grade level. It's sad. I am trying to work with him and bring him up to where he needs to be, but everything is above his head! What do I do? I tutor in the afternoons M-TH so we have to be done with school by 12:30. I don't know whether to split them up into groups, have mine work more independently on history or just keep doing our thing and hope he catches on. I ahve been reading CM and am intrigued by the idea of the kids each doing their own reading but ten it seems so - maybe cold and out of touch, just not family like, like we are not sharing the learning as a family. I don't know. It seems great, I love reading the "Higher up and further in" and it sounds lovely, but we ahve always done things together. Is it time to move on? :tongue_smilie:

TOG's Marcia Somerville has a talk Teaching a housefull or something like that. It may be helpful to listen to.

Also, I was just listening to SWB's online talks at PeaceHill Press site and she has some great points about getting your curricula down to the important stuff, getting kids to be independent learners I think is the one though that will help the most right now.

Bonus - she encourages moms to institute a two hour!!!!!!!!! rest time.

You have to listen to it :)