Menu

Classical Conversations Essentials of the English Language?

lula

Why is this book not available for general purchase? I am very curious to see it and determine if the program would be a good fit for my daughter. Is there a way to look at it before signing up for the entire program?

For some reason having this book be available only if you are in the program is weird to me but I am really impressed by the parts of the program I have seen.

I'm sure that CC has their reasons why, but just off the top of my head -

I think it'd be very difficult for someone without a CC essentials tutor to figure out exactly how to implement it!!

It could be done - but it is not user friendly and is in no way typical of other grammar programs or other subjects that we are used to for that matter!!

Edited by Brenda in FL
homophone error!!

I agree - this isn't open and go. It would be very hard to do without help.

If you want to see it, contact your director or a local director and ask. You can probably even sit in a class to see what it is like.

Most directors and Essentials tutors would be glad to let you see the book and answer questions. Just looking at the book probably isn't going to help you decided. Talk to the director or tutor.

If you can talk with a director or go to an info meeting, they'd be happy to let you look through it. It's easier if you have someone showing it to you...like pp said, it's NOT very user-friendly. I do know that they are reformatting it to make it easier, should be a new version out soon. If you're near me, we can meet for coffee and I'll walk you through it!

EEL definitely is not your typical English Grammar program. Extremely thorough and Classical in method. Many people say it's similar to Shurley English (in fact, that was one of the main texts used when laying out EEL) in it's "question and answer" approach.

The EEL is only one component of the Essentials program, they spend just as much time on IEW based writing (using a history theme based book). There is also a math fact drill component.

Why is this book not available for general purchase? I am very curious to see it and determine if the program would be a good fit for my daughter. Is there a way to look at it before signing up for the entire program?

For some reason having this book be available only if you are in the program is weird to me but I am really impressed by the parts of the program I have seen.

you must be enrolled in the program. there is a classroom element to it that would be very difficult to replicate without enrolling. i think the intent is to ensure that the full benefit is gained from the resource, plus they use IEW in it, so there may be copyright issues. the best way to get a look at it would be to attend a free parent practicum in the summer when they basically present the program to the parents and teach them how it is used and what results they can expect. you would probably be a little late in jumping in at this point this school year, but not impossible. there would just be major catch up.

you also have to be enrolled in foundations--you can't just do the essentials portion.

Edited by Hedgehogs4

you must be enrolled in the program. there is a classroom element to it that would be very difficult to replicate without enrolling. i think the intent is to ensure that the full benefit is gained from the resource, plus they use IEW in it, so there may be copyright issues. the best way to get a look at it would be to attend a free parent practicum in the summer when they basically present the program to the parents and teach them how it is used and what results they can expect. you would probably be a little late in jumping in at this point this school year, but not impossible. there would just be major catch up.

you also have to be enrolled in foundations--you can't just do the essentials portion.

There is no IEW in the EEL. There are three components to the Essentials class: EEL, IEW, and math drill.

CC's reason to not sell it outside of the program is that it would be useless to a parent without the CC training to help make sense of it. It really isn't a book or a curriculum in the traditional sense, it is a set of notes and helps to go along with EEL in the class.

You can definitely see it before you sign up. Just tell the Director you need to look at it, and she should provide you with access to flip through it and check it out.

P.S. - CC's policy is that you can indeed enroll in Essentials alone, IF there is room left when the Foundations students have enrolled. Preference is given to Foundations students, but many campuses can accept Essentials-only students.