Menu

Easy Grammar--can you start mid-series?

MerryAtHope

Hopefully someone who has done higher than level 4 will answer, but I would think so if you know nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs...you do need to memorize the prepositional list they provide. I am thinking maybe ds9 should have skipped level 4 this year and gone straight to 5 because it seems very repetitive. Brownie

I started it with my dd last year in 5th grade. She came with NO grammar knowledge from ps and did great with it. My ds is using EG+ for the first time this year. He has had some grammar in the past, but not EG. He too is doing great with it.

I don't think it matters where they start. They start with prepositional phrases at every level.

Is it hard to start with an upper level (6 or 7+) if you haven't done earlier levels?

It's fine to start at whatever level you think is right for your kids. My kids did EG6 in 5th grade with no previous knowledge of the series. All the books seem to be quite similar, in fact, with one or two more tidbits added each year. It's one of the reasons we did something else next - not because we didn't like it (we did), but because I saw no reason to rehash the same material in the same way for another year.

We jumped in with EGPlus in 8th grade after little grammar in ps and a year of the old Voyages in English with no retention. It was a great grammar year and dd experienced no problems with the transition. We did something else for 9th which turned out to be another wasted year, so now we're using the EG Ultimate System. I wouldn't hesitate to jump into EG at any level as long as your dc has a basic understanding of parts of speech.

It's fine to start at whatever level you think is right for your kids. My kids did EG6 in 5th grade with no previous knowledge of the series. All the books seem to be quite similar, in fact, with one or two more tidbits added each year. It's one of the reasons we did something else next - not because we didn't like it (we did), but because I saw no reason to rehash the same material in the same way for another year.

yes, this is why we are doing an every other year sort of thing with EG. I suspect it would become more than tiresome if done every year but I do like it and think its somewhat valuable.