Menu

Have you ever thought or wondered if you are doing enough?

Make sure you're actually spending the time spent on work. My church has a parochial school, and just from seeing the schedule on the wall, there's a lot of wasted time in that day-or, at minimum, time I don't count as school. I don't count my DD running around outside or eating lunch as part of the school day, for example, and her music class, PE activities, and art activities are outside the "school" block of the day.

By the time you subtract all of that, only about half the day is spent, even on paper, on things I consider school. And beyond that, if you look deeper, that reading block includes not only the reading instruction that I consider part of school, but the "DEAR time", "Listening comprehension" (IE-read alouds", and other activities that, again, DD does, but not as part of our school day.

And given the long list of "Things to do while waiting", I'm guessing a good part of that "independent work time" is spent waiting for others to finish, which, for the most part, doesn't happen at home. We do school in a solid block, first thing in the morning, and then we're done for the day.

It wouldn't surprise me to find that my DD's 1-2 hour school day equates to MORE instructional time than she'd get in ps.

I try to remind myself of all the time in the classroom that was spent on "crowd control", little tasks like turning in papers or getting a the whole class to have the right books turned to the right page, lining up for specials, recess, etc. and try to mentally subtract that when I'm thinking about whether or not we're spending *enough* time at home.

One of the biggest differences that I see is that at home I can go back and reinforce & review a skill or concept throughout the day/night/weekend whenever a good time comes up instead of having the mindset of "9:30 - 10:30 is math time". That seems to help retention here, to encounter it at different places and times.

As for the question of "enough or the right stuff", if you're concerned you could compare what you are doing with checklists, grade level expectations, or books put out by whatever source you are comfortable with ~ the "What your child needs to know" series, your dept. of ed, WTM recommendations, etc.

It's definitely a new venture, isn't it?

Guest janainaz

Society is insane.

If I spend all my time and energy comparing, I will become crazy, or depressed.

I can't base what is "right" on what society has deemed to be right. Look around - people overextend themselves in every way. The more money you make, the more you spend. Becoming educated can be used to become arrogant, or it can open your mind in other directions, and it can make you a more compassionate person.

I've found that A + B does not always = C. In fact, things rarely turn out like we plan.

I teach my kids what I believe they need to know in order to grow up and succeed at life and it is not just based knowledge, jobs, and money. They need to think for themselves by asking the question, "What do 'I' think or feel about this?" You can learn by observing, but you can't compare what you do with what the set "norm" is. That is a recipe for disaster. Who is making the rules about your life? You, or everyone else?

Many people have come to the assumption that education = money, and money = happiness. They have also made the assumption in the same way regarding religion and many other 'things'. Money does not equal happiness and having religion does not make you right.

I refuse to allow society to dictate to me what is 'right'. I observe people under every circumstance, and I've come to the conclusion that attitude and perception is what dictates the goodness that comes from your life. If you see and judge what people do as 'bad' - you will draw that out of them. If you seek the good, you will draw and experience that.

My BIL makes well over 6 figures a year, and he seems stressed and unhappy. Yet, he "did enough" in school. We have friends that are struggling miserably financially, and they are unhappy to. Educating your kids to survive and thrive in this world goes beyond textbooks. They need to learn how to think for themselves. But they learn that from you.

Edited by janainaz

I usually just focus on where I need to be at the end of the year and work consistently toward that goal. But really, the best way I know that we are doing enough in each subject is if I get through the curricula they are using by the end of the year.

Are you concerned about a specific subject or overall? IOW, are you concerned you aren't covering enough subjects? Maybe, if you feel comfortable doing so, you could post the ages of your dc and the subjects they are doing and how long it is taking your dc to do those subjects. Then we could give you a more specific critique.

Maybe since you are coming from the ps system and your trying to make comparisons there you could look up the scope\sequence of your state and look at the benchmarks. (You'd know more about the correct terminology than I would) Maybe that would give you an idea of if your dc are meeting those goals. However, I did look at those when I started homeschooling and quickly realized that they didn't fit my dc because my dc weren't average. One was way above in certain things and one was way below in certain things but it did give me a place to work from.

I wish I could give you more help or say something to ease your mind. When I started homeschooling I spent the whole first year constantly second guessing if it was enough. I'd add more, then reduce, then add, then reduce...my poor dc. Now, I still think about it occasionally but I feel pretty confident that we are doing exactly what my dc need to be doing.

Ease your mind....

Last year, and for many years before, my DS spent only about 4 hours or so a day - many times even less. We had three more weeks of vacation than the PS kids. We took days off for dr's appts, b'days, etc.

I was very concerned about him re-enterring PS this year as an 8th grader. We have, as far as the state of FL is concerned, the 6th best middle school. I wonderred all last year if I had faled him, etc.

Yeah - totally not an issue. Everything they are learning in science and history he has learned. He has written more, had more variety in math, and read - on average - 30 more books than the PS had the kids read last year. Oh - he read more than that on his own, but those were the ones I assigned.

Also - when you see those kids with the humongous textbooks.... they rarely make it past the middle. The history and science teacher said there "just wasn't enough time to do more than 1/2 the book." Comparing my now-7th grade son's Singapore Science to what the 8th grade ps kids are doing makes me feel like my ps son is going to have a wasted year.

He is being challened in his Adv. Language Arts class- but that is really just getting used ot the format. His adv Algebra class (he did pre-algebra with Life of Fred) has failed to give him any difficulties or challenge at all.

When I look at some of the lists of curriculum on these board siggies, I sometimes wonder if I'm doing enough as well - but then I just look at what the PS is doing- and the worry disappears :)

Four weeks into our public school experiment, I can easily say, at least for my family, we were doing more than enough. Sure, there are some odd holes, but nothing that my oldest doesn't have the skills to patch quickly.

I'm honestly amazed that most of these kids learn much of anything, given the disruptions, schedule changes, and lack of time in the classroom (really only about 35-40 mins). They're constantly rushing from one class to the next, even on a mixed block schedule. College will be a vacation after this.

The only reason my oldest is at her school, is for the drama magnet classes. This school is a way for her to get a taste of the real world, and get to be a part of an award winning drama program. That's one area that the school does it 100% right. Otherwise, I would have pulled her out after the first week. It's a mixed bag... the school is listed as one of the top high schools in the US, according to Newsweek Magazine (:confused:). I'm still waiting to see all the good parts, besides the drama & music.

If I compare what my kids do to what I did, than they are by far getting a superior education to my own college prep/partly private schooling. If I compare what my kids do to what I want them to do, none of us is doing enough.

If I quit comparing, formulate the plan and work the plan, then I'm usually in a much better place with what we do and don't get done.

but how do you know that what you want them to know is actually enough or the right stuff???

Scope and sequence. TWTM has one laid out as does LCC and most any other school supply company. You can go by grade or subject. Get a good guide and then tweak to fit your family. DonnaYoung.org has a good planning sheet that lists goals, curriculum and subject and there are several threads on planning on this board.

Edited by laughing lioness

Well, I spend all day every day (pretty much) with my daughter. I can see that she is learning, thriving and happy.

When I bring her, and her portfolio, to our evaluator each year, he makes positive comments about her portfolio and seems very happy with them.

When I submit her portfolio to the school district, they "acknowledge that an appropriate education is being received."

When I gave her a standardized test last year ("for fun") after over a year of relaxed homeschooling, using a hands on curriculum with very little "busy work," on which we spent an average of three hours a day, she scored right where she was "supposed" to.

I know that a good education can be received in MANY other ways than seatwork, worksheets, textbooks, quizzes and so on. I know that in the public schools around here, all THEY focus on is standardized testing. And what they are doing isn't working, if you go by the last few years' results (as seen in the local newspaper) of said testing.

I'm doing things much differently- but I am confident what I am doing is much more effective and much more relevant. So, really, no. I hardly ever think about or worry about whether I'm "doing enough."

but how do you know that what you want them to know is actually enough or the right stuff???

Well, my dc are young so take with a grain of salt...;)

First, I work at *my* goals with the confidence that every single schooling choice *will* have gaps...somewhere...and that means I will leave gaps...somewhere. I prioritize the things that I think my dc need in order to be self-sufficient learners and succeed in life. Reading, writing and math are the foundation of my homeschool. Everything else is built on that foundation. Any person with a solid foundation in the 3R's can fill in their own gaps. Anyone with a college degree has done some filling in of gaps of their own.

I know someone who wanted to go to college and couldn't read well enough to hack it at a CC. (She's dyslexic, and slid through ps without ever getting help.:glare:) That is my definition of a child who didn't get what they needed out of school. I know a man who slid through high school based upon a musical talent, was given a free ride to a nice University (based on that talent) and dropped out after 1 semester:001_huh: b/c he lacked character and work ethic. His ps education wasn't enough to ensure a bright future. (I think he sells meat door to door now...) My dc will have *these* gaping holes in their educations "over my dead body!";)

How does this look with my dc at home? We spend the mornings rocking out math and LA, and spend the rest of our time living life between long sessions snuggled on the couch with quality books. We ditched the TV and have never introduced video games. We live fairly simply. My dc play together for entertainment. They often find inspiration for their imaginative play from the storybooks we've read. History and science and literature are fun family times. My dc are young though, and I expect our schooling to grow and change as they do.