Menu

How Much Memorization?

Macrina

Not at all. I usually expect the kids to be working on several things at once -- usually a poem or two (or a poem and a prose piece like a Psalm or part of a famous speech or a historical document), a history fact, and something in Latin (and/or Greek for the older one). Throw in some science memory songs, etc, from time to time.

Each week we work on a new thing (or perhaps a new section of a longer piece) and we lightly review older material.

Kids *can* memorize a great deal -- I feel guilty for not requiring *more* of my kids in this regard, not less! -- and memorization stretches their brains as well as giving them material that will be useful and also good for contemplation throughout their lives. (For this reason, I focus more strongly on poetry and good prose -- sometimes the same piece in multiple languages, like a New Testament Bible verse in Greek, Latin, and English -- and less strongly on "facts", though I certainly think those have value as well.)

We have quite a bit of memory work going on at one time: usually a poem, hymn, scripture, famous or meaningful quote, speech, etc; latin and greek endings. I've never stressed dates or historic events (although we have committed some to memory)...it's not that they're not important; they're just not as important to us in the longterm. I figure if we're going to spend the time putting stuff into longterm memory, it should feed the soul as well as the mind. I'm the one who always lets it slide when we get busy...shame on me! They're really capable of more!

DD 9 doesn't hate it by any means, but she does some for FLL, and I have her doing some for US history, but wanted her to do some for SOTW 2 also....

too much?

Another not too much vote

Each week I add about 4 cards to my 7yo's and my 10yo xtra student's memory decks. The facts are pulled from what they are studying in LA, math, history, and science. I occassionally cull cards that they know without hesitation. Twice during this first 8 weeks I have pulled cards out of their memorized deck for review and where there was any hesitation I put the card back into their active deck.

This past week they started memorizing their first poem of the year.

We are being a little more laid back than the Simply CM deck, but it is working for us.

HTH-

Mandy

I was curious, also. I found this that I think might be what she is talking about.

That would be the one.

Dragons in the Flower Bed has a notebook system similar to the index card system at Simply CM that I really like, but I can't find a link.

Also, I really liked Anki, but my son likes holding the cards. We use the large size index cards.

HTH-

Mandy