Menu

Secular Science Workbooks?

Negin

I got these - the Basic, Not Boring series - they're nice and all is fine - except - there's no related text - nothing really in them - just questions. :confused:

Are there any secular science workbooks that have some form of text either inside them - or with a related text?

I like engaging, effective, and minimal work for me. :) Am I asking for too much? I guess I need to spend more time browsing the Rainbow Resource catalog one more time ...

Science Detective from Critical Thinking Press. I don't consider them a whole curriculum, but a fabulous supplement. A page of text on a science topic, then a page (or two in the higher level) of questions - multiple choice and short response. The child also has to show where in the text they found the "evidence" for their answer. Rainbow does carry them, completely secular.

I love the Spectrum Science workbooks- lots of different topics, interesting reading, higher level questions, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Spectrum-Science-Grade-Carson-Dellosa-Publishing/dp/0769653685/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1284816630&sr=1-1

If you live near Barnes and Noble, you can purchase these and get 20% off with educator's card.

We're liking Sigapore. My ds is currently using Interactive Science For Inquiring Minds. I purchased the workbook and text - but am using a different book for my labs. Some of the labs in the book can be tricky to recreate.

The books don't look like much - but if you use them the way they are supposed to be used, and do the lab work (or a similar lab) it can take quite a while to get through a small chapter.

Thank you, all. :)

have you tried searching on Amazon, or any of the national science organizations?

Are you looking for supplemental-type workbooks or more like curricula?

Kate, yes, I should look on amazon.

Looking more for supplemental-type workbooks. Dh covers science. I just want to do more - mostly for extra retention.

Science Detective from Critical Thinking Press. I don't consider them a whole curriculum, but a fabulous supplement. A page of text on a science topic, then a page (or two in the higher level) of questions - multiple choice and short response. The child also has to show where in the text they found the "evidence" for their answer. Rainbow does carry them, completely secular.

This sounds really good. :D

There's Singapore science as well. You could just get the student texts and then the homework book.

Yes, I have often thought of Singapore. We've used their math off and on and like how thorough they are.

I love the Spectrum Science workbooks- lots of different topics, interesting reading, higher level questions, etc.

Also like pretty much anything by Spectrum.

Nope. No B&N nearby ... nothing in this part of the world. We'll be visiting the U.S. soon - we just buy as we see or order beforehand. But, thanks anyway.

We're liking Sigapore. My ds is currently using Interactive Science For Inquiring Minds. I purchased the workbook and text - but am using a different book for my labs. Some of the labs in the book can be tricky to recreate.

The books don't look like much - but if you use them the way they are supposed to be used, and do the lab work (or a similar lab) it can take quite a while to get through a small chapter.

So, do all the Singapore Science books require lab work? I'm not looking for that. And problems re-creating all that are not what I'm looking for at the moment. I'm looking for quick, easy, minimal work ... simple and nice ... particularly since dh teaches them science already.

This might be too easy for them. If they had a volume for after grade 6, it would be nice.

Now ... decisions, decisions. ;)

You've all been a wonderful help. Thank you :grouphug:.