Menu

Strange moral dilemma for me regarding my professor. (heavy CC)

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't aware that blue laws are still in force anywhere.

All of Bergen County, NJ. From here:

Blue laws

One of the last remaining blue laws in the United States that covers virtually all selling is found in Bergen County. It has produced the ironic situation that one of the largest and most popular commercial shopping cores of the New York metropolitan area is almost completely closed on Sunday (grocery stores, convenience stores, gas stations, and restaurants are among the few businesses allowed to operate). Furthermore, Bergen County has significant populations of Jewish (2000 estimate of 83,700) and Muslim (2000 estimate of 6,473) residents whose observant members would not be celebrating the Sunday Sabbath with most of their Christian neighbors. The substantial Orthodox Jewish minority is placed in the position of being unable to shop either on Sunday (due to the blue laws) or on Saturday (due to religious observance).

Edited by nono
get rid of false links

Several people have commented that "oh my god" would be unacceptable in a professional setting, and now I'm wondering if I'm the only one who finds that not to be true at all?

No, I'm with you. I can't think of a single job I've held that didn't have all kinds of language being used. Goodness, I'm sure I even said it at the church I used to spend so much time at, and no one ever said anything to me. Until this thread, I would have never thought it was a problem!