Menu

s/o no 'poo and baking soda - athletes

Has anyone done the no shampoo thing that exercises and sweats everyday? I get home from my run or ride and my hair is sweat laden. I just can't see how the no 'poo thing would work.

What about swimmers? (thinking about doing a tri next year) Does baking soda get the chlorine out?

I'd like to do something like baking soda but with sweaty hair, I don't think I can give up the shampoo.

Thanks!

As I said, I don't use baking soda or vinegar in my hair, but I do use conditioner-only (two cycles). I run and I sweat, and it hasn't been a problem. For swimming, damp hair with a little conditioner worked through, then a swim cap. Then wash with conditioner as I normally do.

But I don't do no-shampoo for cost or chemical reasons (though I do try to be aware of what chemicals are in the products I use) -- I do it because I have tons of thick, dry, super-curly hair and this is the only thing that has ever really worked with my hair...

I'm not a hard core athlete, but I get pretty darn drippy when I'm at the gym or out in the garden (think wet hair drippy). The baking soda and vinegar work just fine for me. I have long, thick hair and I wash depending on need. Usually every 3-5 days. In between, I rinse really well in the shower. I think if you make sure to rinse well- massaging your scalp as though washing- then you'll be fine.

I think if you make sure to rinse well- massaging your scalp as though washing- then you'll be fine.

:iagree: For the sweat, I'm pretty confident that a nice, hot rince should do the trick. I'm not as sure about the chlorine... I might want to shampoo after that.

ETA - I haven't tried baking soda. I wash with a mild shampoo once a week or so and rinse with hot water the other days. I'm thinking of switching to conditioner instead of shampoo because I really dislike my hair for a day or two after I wash it.

Edited by Annie

I think I must've missed a thread. No shampoo??

If you search the boards, there are a few threads on it. The gist of it is that some of us no longer use commercial shampoo and conditioner. Instead, we wash with baking soda and rinse with apple cider vinegar. The proportions people use vary - I personally use a paste of baking soda (like toothpaste or frosting consistency) to wash with, rinse that out, and then use 2-4 tablespoons of avc in a couple cups of water to condition, then rinse that out.