Menu

switching to MFW ancients

I was planning on pulling together some stuff for my duaghter for 9th grade-mostly from Ambleside. I was going to try to do all kids on the same history but....i am feeling overwhelmed since i have three other three kids (one with special needs) I am considering either core 100 SL or MFW Ancients. Although i know they are different time periods, i am more concerned about the "content" and "slant" Though we are Christians, i am a bit leary of the bible portion of MFW. However, i like the more classical approach of MFW.Can anyone compare these two programs and FAST. I need to get things settled-we've started the basics but need to really dig in.

thanks

pam

I was planning on pulling together some stuff for my duaghter for 9th grade-mostly from Ambleside. I was going to try to do all kids on the same history but....i am feeling overwhelmed since i have three other three kids (one with special needs) I am considering either core 100 SL or MFW Ancients. Although i know they are different time periods, i am more concerned about the "content" and "slant" Though we are Christians, i am a bit leary of the bible portion of MFW. However, i like the more classical approach of MFW.Can anyone compare these two programs and FAST. I need to get things settled-we've started the basics but need to really dig in.

thanks

pam

What about the Bible portion of it are you concerned with? The only thing I had a problem with (personally) was the Rick Warren book, so we just skipped that. My dd has read other devotional and life-purpose type books instead, and of course she'll read the entire Old Testament with study questions for it.

The rest of it has been fantastic. MFW AHL will teach a strong biblical worldview and also how to make a strong argument for what she believes. Bible in MFW is definitely more integrated than it is in Sonlight. I especially appreciate the emphasis on Creation vs. evolution in this course.

Another difference is that literature and composition are included and are history-related, with instruction for how to write. I think with SL you'd have to buy separate components for all that.

AHL will give your dd a full credit each for History, Bible and English, and then you add your own math, science, and electives. They recommend Saxon and Jacobs for math and Apologia for science, but you can use whatever you want. If you buy the math and science from them, they do include lesson plans.

Donna covered pretty much everything. So I'll just add that my dd is really enjoying MFW AHL! She is working mostly independently. The very first week there's some "hand-holding" to get used to the curriculum, but overall the lesson plans are very clear/easy to follow and written for the student. I LOVE that there is instruction on how to write, since I'm not good with that! I like that they set deadlines for papers, and expect them in then---easier for dd to follow the "outside" lesson plan, and realize it's not just mom assigning something "arbitrarily"! :D DD likes the lesson plans too, and has enjoyed the readings. There is some reading in Job, and dd, who's taking Logic as well, was mentioning that the arguments by Job's "friends" were NOT logical! :D We're only in our 3rd week, but we really like what we're doing and how it's all set up!

Hi Pam,

same question that Donna has: what is the concern or question you have about Bible in MFW AHL?

You can skip Rick Warren book like Donna is doing, or you can use it, or you can just use the table of contents to have discussions on those topics (especially about how to get along with others and things like that). So that is adaptable.

In AHL: the student reads the entire Old Testament. You let them use whatever translation you think is the right one to use. There is a book called Old Testament Challenge (by Judson Poling) that is a guide of comprehension questions, and thinking questions. There are no answers in that book, so it is not a doctrine book. It's making sure the students think about the passage they read with about 3-4 questions. I know if you use KJV, there will be a minor confusion on one question that I know of when you read Job 9:13 due to a word translation. I recommend the student cross reference that one verse via Biblegateway to see the word rahab and learn the meaning is a Hebrew literature reference to "chaos". or something like that.

Other Bible in AHL: they get a time to read The New Answers Book -- that's a book on creation vs. evolution. It is "young earth".

Also, in AHL, MFW strongly encourages parents to choose to do the Bible readings in the AHL program as the parent's quiet time/devotional time. That way you are the one guiding and mentoring your student.

My oldest is in week 11 or 12 now (I forgot which) and we're liking it a lot. She likes following the syllabus on her own, and checking it off. She's learning a lot with writing. Everything we are reading in OT is just popping up in songs on radio, and in church services, etc. It's continues to be a blessing.

-crystal

Edited by cbollin
adding author's name on book

and of course she'll read the entire Old Testament with study questions for it.

Just re-read my post and saw that I need to make a correction. :glare: She IS reading the entire OT. Not she will. She's on week 20-something of AHL.

It's amazing the things that come out during family discussions, unplanned... the things she's learned this year. :001_smile:

Thanks for great support. i will go with MFW and quite relieved!!!

pam

I wanted to add that you've probably made the right choice. My dd is using SL Core 100 this year for 8th grade. I'm not sure it is really a high school level course, IMHO. I don't have experience with MFW...yet. It is what I am strongly considering for her next year.