Menu

Preschool books on character traits.

christielee7278

Hi ladies!

I need a little help. I had my 8 weeks of co-op classes planned and ready to go...on my laptop, not printed. Then my laptop crashed!! While it is getting fixed, I need some help for one of my co-op classes coming up this Friday.

I am doing a story + art class with ages 3-5. Last week we read The Rainbow Fish (sharing) and did a fun fish craft.

Now I am looking for another book on pretty much any character trait for my class. I wrote my plans out over a month ago and seriously cannot remember the other books on my list.

So......book suggestions? I'm sure I can come up with a craft for just about any book.

Thanks SO much!!

I love The Carrot Seed...would that be dedication, determination?

The Seven Silly Eaters is one of my favorite picture books. It starts off with everyone being very particular about what they eat, but in the end they work together and create a food that everyone enjoys. Cooperation?

Are these even character traits? :001_smile: You might check out the books included with Beautiful Feet's Teaching Character Through Literature here.

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Dogger

This is, without a doubt, one of the top 5 picture books we own. The positive character traits would be kindness and generosity between siblings.

ETA: Oooh! For the craft, you could make little teddy bears!

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Guest Alte Veste Academy

The Little Engine That Could - determination

The Little Red Hen - cooperation

The Tortoise and the Hare - diligence

I'm still thinking...and also thinking about doing this with the kids myself! Thanks for the idea!

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

On second thought, The Seven Silly Eaters likely wouldn't work since their initial "cooperation" was accidental and somewhat fraught with frustration...though it is a darling book, and the cooperation, accidental at first or not, causes great kindness to an overworked momma.

I'm so glad you started this post. :) I had never heard of Dogger or Do Unto Otters.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Do Unto Otters by Laurie Keller is a huge hit at our house right now.

We even found the DVD at our local library. It is beautifully done!

Thanks for mentioning the dvd. I didn't know about it. The kids love the book.

Another huge hit here is Cookies: Bite-Size Life Lessons (we all absolutely love this book!) but it is a book with many traits, rather than a story that exemplifies a single trait.

What Newt Could Do For Turtle is my absolutely favorite preschool picture book--about being a faithful friend.

You could make a picture--Use a 12x18 piece of construction paper as the backround, and glue a small (saucer sized) paper plate as the turtle, and add a plastic newt (lizard from the Dollar Store or party store).

Or make a chart with everyone's name down the side and go around asking how they help their friends.

Another huge hit here is Cookies: Bite-Size Life Lessons (we all absolutely love this book!) but it is a book with many traits, rather than a story that exemplifies a single trait.

We have this book and it is so cute! My almost 4yo and 6yo love it.

I love these types of threads - I have learned of so many good books this way. I just popped over to Amazon and bought Dogger; Do Unto Otters is on my wish list. Thanks!

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Munro Leaf books. Best known for Ferdinand the Bull, Munro Leaf also wrote, How to Behave and Why, How to Speak Politely, and Manners Can be Fun.

Oh, yes! My kids love those books, even more than The Goops! DS7 loves the blank pages at the back of the book for adding our own rules.

We have this book and it is so cute! My almost 4yo and 6yo love it.

Did you know that a couple more versions of the book are out?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_10?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=cookies+bite+size+life+lessons&x=0&y=0&sprefix=cookies+bi