Menu

Raw Food for Dogs

I've been curious about raw diets for dogs. So naturally, I came to the WTM forums, because I'm convinced that, between all of us, the Hive knows everything. How much does it cost to feed your dog this way? From what I read, it does sound like it is more healthy than dry dog food, so I want to try our dog on it, but it sounds so expensive!

Depends on what you have at your disposal. Know any hunters? You can get all their unwanted bits and pieces, RMBs, etc. Taxidermists are worth a call. Processing plants, or farmers that do their own are worth calling too (try 'abattoir' in the phone book) Freecycle is a great place to check for 'freezer burned meat'. Try butcher shops too, if nothing else, there a good place to get 'soup bones'.

Remember, a raw diet is based on a percentage of your dog's weight, so chances are, you'll be feeding less than a bowl of kibble. Plus, the bowel movements are much smaller and less smelly, a good bonus when you own a small-pony-pretending-to-be-a-dog as we do.

We buy our food via a co-op. Check yahoogroups perhaps for one close to you. We pay under $1/lb for all food and our dogs eats a variety of foods including turkey, chicken, cow, mackerel,duck and rabbit. Our co-op is almost two hours away but we purchased a large freezer and only order bi-monthly. Agreeing with the previous poster that the amount of food is less than with kibble and the decrease in poop and umm..."intensity" is AMAZING. Also,a species appropriate diet helps to keep the vet bills minimal.

I just bought a Dane puppy I am hoping to show. He is on a raw diet and thriving, and he actually LOVES his veggies (put into juicer and then pulp and juicde are mixed together. Dogs cannot digest veggies very well so juicing them help with this.)

He so far is eating chicken necks, turkey necks will be added in next week... followed by lamb or duck.

My biggest surprise.... his poo isnt as offending as it used to be! I am not going to go down there and sniff it to see how smelly it actually is, but I cannot smell it while scooping it off the lawn. YAY!! LOL