Menu

Tongue pain?

I have very bad seasonal allergies usually starting in May and ending about a month or so later. This year they started earlier and lasted longer then I had a break of about a month and they started up again. This has never happened before. Anyway, they were really acting up today. I took both Zytek and Benedryl, neither of which made any difference at all. I have also had a sore throat for about two weeks. About three hours ago both sides of my tongue and the tip started hurting really really bad. It feels raw like I ate too many shocker candies only I haven't eaten anything at all. Both sides look swollen and very red as does my throat. My lips are also sore and feel kind of numb like it does when I have an allergic reaction to something. I have never experienced this before so I have no idea what caused it. I have been using Chloraseptic throat lozenges with benzocaine in them and that help for a couple of minutes then it starts hurting again. Any ideas? :confused: Anything to relieve the pain?

I hope you go to the doctor.

One thing will help tongue pain is Orajel (or Anbesol) for adults. This is the stuff we gave our babies when they were teething. DS1 is experiencing tongue pain and has a sore spot inside his lip -- he used the Orajel on it and each application works for a couple of hours. I bought it at Wal-Mart. It is best applied with a Q-tip.

It may help if the pain is topical, rather than inside your tongue. It numbs the area. It works on tongues because DS1 got some on his tongue, and it became numb in that area.

Just don't put it anywhere near the back of your tongue. I vaguely recall that warning from when my kids were babies -- but I don't recall why.

Edited by RoughCollie

Google geographic tongue. This is one of my symptoms. I went to the doctor about mine and he's the one who told me it was nothing to worry about. They don't know what causes it - but one of the theories is allergies. Another theory is hormones. Mine seems to be caused by allergies.

The sides of my tongue sound exactly like yours - swollen, red, angry looking. I also had a sore in the middle of my mouth and my tongue had cracks in it. The cracks are still there, but they don't hurt as much anymore. If I have too many spicy things, it hurts, but not as bad as that first time!