Menu

Phonics Road Level 2 - is anyone else annoyed?

Heather in VA

I really love this program but is anyone else annoyed that there is no list of the building codes? It says 'review BC4' or 'review BC 5 - 7'. Well I don't remember which one is which by number. I need a list. But their number doesn't line up with the song number. Am I missing it somewhere? I guess I'm expected to write them down as I listen to the CD. Grr.

Heather

When I was going through Phonics 2 (just to familiarize myself with it, we're not quite there yet), I thought that those instructions meant to get the pages out from Phonics Road One - the Building Code Pages and just go over them to review the rules and the word examples. If there is a song - like the silent final e song, we'll just sing it as we go over the page. Maybe I missed something??

Yes I think that's what it means but what it also means is that I needed to keep my Level 1 TM when we were done - which I didn't. Of course I still have her book but it's filed away from last year and now I'm going to have to get it back out. If this program becomes something I have to keep all 4 years to use it, it will get cost-prohibitive. I need to be able to sell the TM to help pay for the new version. Not only that but even if I kept it all and kept it out, having to use both books is annoying. I want things contained in front of me. The more I have to switch around, the easier it is for my dd to lose focus.

Heather

I'm pretty sure Mrs. Beers is talking about the Building Codes from the Level one. You should only need your students completed notebook, which you said you have anyway). Also, just a note, the songs 1-18 are the same for levels 1 & 2. Level 2 just adds more to this list, so songs 18+ are for level 2. I don't have level 3, but if I had to guess, she will continue to add to these and keep the numbers the same. This helps me because I write the rule tune in my notes just in case I need to jog my memory. I'm just thrilled she didn't rearrange them as we go through the levels, just a small thing, but I like the constant.

Yes I think that's what it means but what it also means is that I needed to keep my Level 1 TM when we were done - which I didn't. Of course I still have her book but it's filed away from last year and now I'm going to have to get it back out. If this program becomes something I have to keep all 4 years to use it, it will get cost-prohibitive. I need to be able to sell the TM to help pay for the new version. Not only that but even if I kept it all and kept it out, having to use both books is annoying. I want things contained in front of me. The more I have to switch around, the easier it is for my dd to lose focus.

Heather

Ahhh - now I understand. Since I have youngers coming up and actually three kiddos in different parts of the program I have them on my shelf continually.

I also completely understand about the switching around. Sometimes my kidlets are getting completely distracted just switching from the spelling list to the building code. I'm trying to have them get everything they need out of the notebook before we start - same with me. I'm always hunting for the words to the songs - LOL. Usually the kids start sining without me.

Guest aquiverfull

Well I haven't quite started PR 2 yet, but should in a few weeks. I can tell you that yes, I would be annoyed. I think it's ridiculous that she didn't either put that information on a piece of paper in the Foreman's Guide or at the very least on the dvds. Seriously, most people will be starting PR 2 a year later and most probably packed their student notebooks away by then.

I moved the Building codes from PR 1 into my PR2 book and that is working great. Now all I have to do is get some tabs to keep track of where the songs are and all that.

I really love the program and I think Mrs. Beers is brilliant but I do really wish she would have put the number to the song in the teachers part not just a music note and also told us in the teachers notes where we need to go to the building codes and all that. I only watch the videos to find that stuff out. I guess it kind of forces us to watch the videos (which I am grateful for-I can't imagine flying blind!) but now that I am comfortable with the program I wish I could just do the videos if I had a question on something-not to find out if there are building codes to do and where to do them. I do love the program though.

I moved the Building codes from PR 1 into my PR2 book and that is working great. Now all I have to do is get some tabs to keep track of where the songs are and all that.

I really love the program and I think Mrs. Beers is brilliant but I do really wish she would have put the number to the song in the teachers part not just a music note and also told us in the teachers notes where we need to go to the building codes and all that. I only watch the videos to find that stuff out. I guess it kind of forces us to watch the videos (which I am grateful for-I can't imagine flying blind!) but now that I am comfortable with the program I wish I could just do the videos if I had a question on something-not to find out if there are building codes to do and where to do them. I do love the program though.

I absolutely agree - I wonder if she did that on purpose. The last few lessons I've been putting her on a bit of fast forward which raises her voice a pitch. I don't notice it until I switch it back to slow then I realize that her voice tone is a lot lower - LOL. It probably doesn't speed it up too much but it makes me feel like I'm spending less time at the task.

I absolutely agree - I wonder if she did that on purpose. The last few lessons I've been putting her on a bit of fast forward which raises her voice a pitch. I don't notice it until I switch it back to slow then I realize that her voice tone is a lot lower - LOL. It probably doesn't speed it up too much but it makes me feel like I'm spending less time at the task.

I think this is the crux of why I'm annoyed. I do think she did it on purpose to prevent people from starting anywhere but the very beginning and as a side to prevent people from selling when they are done. I understand her not wanting people to buy one level and try to cobble the entire program together themselves based on that little bit of info. That is not only a problem for her financially but it tends to fail and cause those people to talk about how the program doesn't work etc. But to basically require that I have two levels of the program out at the same time or make the lists myself (something that bugs me at $200 a pop) is not protecting her, it's punishing her customers. BTW - this is true in Level 3 as well - you still need to look back to level 1 and level 2 for the building codes (probably the framing codes too but I haven't looked at that yet). Level 3 also does not contain a list of the rule tunes either.

Now that I know these things I can make copies and prep so I don't run into this next year and have to pull out my already stored student guides etc but I find it a bit unprofessional amidst a very professionally done program.

Heather

Guest aquiverfull
I think this is the crux of why I'm annoyed. I do think she did it on purpose to prevent people from starting anywhere but the very beginning and as a side to prevent people from selling when they are done. I understand her not wanting people to buy one level and try to cobble the entire program together themselves based on that little bit of info. That is not only a problem for her financially but it tends to fail and cause those people to talk about how the program doesn't work etc. But to basically require that I have two levels of the program out at the same time or make the lists myself (something that bugs me at $200 a pop) is not protecting her, it's punishing her customers. BTW - this is true in Level 3 as well - you still need to look back to level 1 and level 2 for the building codes (probably the framing codes too but I haven't looked at that yet). Level 3 also does not contain a list of the rule tunes either.

Now that I know these things I can make copies and prep so I don't run into this next year and have to pull out my already stored student guides etc but I find it a bit unprofessional amidst a very professionally done program.

Heather

I agree, not having that information handy is extremely annoying and I also agree that it was done on purpose. Having to make copies is not something we should have to do, especially for the price we paid. By the way, are you even allowed to make copies?? I think at the beginning of the TMs it has the copyright page and she states that you can't make copies for any reason unless you have written permission from the publisher. But then that's basically forcing you to keep all the levels of PR.

Edited by aquiverfull

I agree, not having that information handy is extremely annoying and I also agree that it was done on purpose. Having to make copies is not something we should have to do, especially for the price we paid. By the way, are you even allowed to make copies?? I think at the beginning of the TMs it has the copyright page and she states that you can't make copies for any reason unless you have written permission from the publisher. But then that's basically forcing you to keep all the levels of PR.

I know this sounds awful but I don't care if we are allowed to or not. I need this information and she's made it very difficult to find short of having two books open at a time. I have an ADHD kid who gets really distracted if I am constantly going back and forth - so I'm making copies. I am not selling my copies or doing it for profit or to prevent having to buy something. I bought everything. I just have to make is useable.

Heather

Guest aquiverfull

No Heather, it doesn't sound awful to me. I agree with you. I think she should have made this easily available. I really don't understand why she didn't include it in the upper levels for her customers.

Heather

I'm not seeing where you have to make copies or refer to your past TM. Your student will use her/his notebook from the past level to review. I'm not seeing the problem. I do believe her program is dependant on the last level more than other progams, but it is so unique in its presentation and also claims to be a "notebooking" program. I'm really trying to help here ladies, hope I'm not coming across wrong. :001_smile:

I'm not seeing where you have to make copies or refer to your past TM. Your student will use her/his notebook from the past level to review. I'm not seeing the problem. I do believe her program is dependant on the last level more than other progams, but it is so unique in its presentation and also claims to be a "notebooking" program. I'm really trying to help here ladies, hope I'm not coming across wrong. :001_smile:

Agreeing, from what I understand, one is to take from the previous level student binder and transfer to the next level. I don't see where you need to keep the TM for each level.

Guest aquiverfull
Agreeing, from what I understand, one is to take from the previous level student binder and transfer to the next level. I don't see where you need to keep the TM for each level.

Thanks for commenting HoneyBee and Linda.

I didn't know that's what you were supposed to do. As I said, in the beginning we're not quite to Level 2 yet. So what are you doing, transferring the student sheets over to the level 2 binder? Or keeping the 2 binders out all year? I guess that makes a lot more sense now.

I'm saving my student binder for my younger dd. So my dd might have room in the current notebook to carry on with Level 2, so it will all be neatly together. However, I'm wondering how to work it with my younger when the time is right.

Also, since Honeybee mentioned that you are supposed to review, I have a question that I've been curious about. So far, we haven't had any words that my dd doesn't know how to spell. So there really has been no reason to review anything. However, eventually we will get to a place where she doesn't know the words right off. I'm not really seeing how review is built into this program. I know Mrs. Beers said you should be reviewing any words your student doesn't know before doing the next lesson. How are you reviewing? Doing a spelling test each day on missed words in addition to new ones? There are times when Mrs. Beers tells you to give your student the answer if they don't know which vowel team to use, etc.. so I'm curious if we're supposed to be going for mastery before moving on or not?

Also, since Honeybee mentioned that you are supposed to review, I have a question that I've been curious about. So far, we haven't had any words that my dd doesn't know how to spell. So there really has been no reason to review anything. However, eventually we will get to a place where she doesn't know the words right off. I'm not really seeing how review is built into this program. I know Mrs. Beers said you should be reviewing any words your student doesn't know before doing the next lesson. How are you reviewing? Doing a spelling test each day on missed words in addition to new ones? There are times when Mrs. Beers tells you to give your student the answer if they don't know which vowel team to use, etc.. so I'm curious if we're supposed to be going for mastery before moving on or not?

I don't know if I'm doing it right, but I give a spelling test over any words I think may be a problem before we start the lesson each day. Usually I've been testing about 5 - 10 words, but I've got some older kids doing the program. When my little K'er starts, I'll probably test the four words given the previous day and keep some kind of list to retest problem words. I'm planning on adding extra review days into the program if we need them.

Here's how I'm going to review this year. Day 1-give the five (I plan to dictate 6 words, 7 on Thurs) words. Day two give yesterdays five words and add todays (they don't have to code Day 1 words). Day 3 if they had trouble with any of the previous words, have them spell those words, then dictate today's words. Continue this way for the rest of the week. Friday I'll dictate all the words. Any words that they still are having trouble with, I'm going to write them on an index card and review them with that weeks words. On the index card of the misspelled word I'll put a star on it if they get it correct. Once there are three stars I'll considered it mastered (and may have them spell it orally here and there). I got this idea from SWR.

Hope, that made sense :tongue_smilie:

I didn't follow through with this pattern last year with level 1 because I was a bit lazy :001_huh: but this year (hopefully) I need to. My children need the review.

I would like to see some built-in review with PR. If it wasn't for my SWR manual, I don't think I would understand how Mrs. Beers wants to review. I'm sure she probably mentioned it in the begining but I need to be reminded and need some ideas. It would be nice if she gave ideas with how to review. I know it sounds so basic but I need all the help I can get :)

Edited by Homeschooling6

Thanks for commenting HoneyBee and Linda.

I didn't know that's what you were supposed to do. As I said, in the beginning we're not quite to Level 2 yet. So what are you doing, transferring the student sheets over to the level 2 binder? Or keeping the 2 binders out all year? I guess that makes a lot more sense now.

I'm saving my student binder for my younger dd. So my dd might have room in the current notebook to carry on with Level 2, so it will all be neatly together. However, I'm wondering how to work it with my younger when the time is right.

I keep my son's binder on the shelf. Students will be using it for the First Four Weeks in level 2. I don't think you need to transfer the papers, just be ready to use it everyday for the first four weeks in the spelling section of level 2. It is an intense review of all level 1.

Weeks 1-4 you will... give a spelling test, drill all letters and teams by sight, then by dictation, then continue to drill the ones missed. Your student will also read through all the spelling words from level one, review Building Codes, and re-read the readers at a pace of 1-2 per day. There is one sentence dictated each day, also. Finally, you'll give another spelling test at the end of week 4. I know that sounds like a lot, but it is really broken down into such manageable chunks, I'm really impressed. You may already have this information, just wrote it out for you in case you it wasn't in front of you.

There really isn't a daily review schedule, but here is how I work level one:

*Drill sounds/teams

*Quick spell test from yesterdays words (when they get it right, I put a small check next to the word in their notebook; when wrong, I include it in the next day's test; if they continue to miss it, I might reteach or make them write it 4 times)

*Teach new words and/or Building Codes

*Read through words

after week 15, add weekly:

*2 sentences per week

*1 Reader

For me, this is sufficient review. Reading, which we do outside PR also, helps because they are decoding the words and in effect "reviewing."

About the vowel teams, sometimes a word like "eat" can be confusing. It can be spelled "et" or "eet" or "eat" because all the sounds/teams can have a long e sound. There may not be a direct rule to decipher which one to use and she will say, just tell them "ea." I sometimes write the sounds of long e in a column and will circle the one we will use. I just like for my son to see physically what we have to choose from, and sometimes there is a rule to "rule out" certain sounds/teams.

For my son, its rare for him to misspell a word, but he usually doesn't show the same confidence in our daily spelling tests. For you, if the words are not challenging and she is passing spelling test without blinking, I would speed up the program, but not skip anything. For example, you could do twice as many words per day, read 2 pages in the reader, and write a sentence everyday (and you could make them longer or more complex). I just seen the ages of your daughters, are you referring to your 5 yo, then speeding up might be a bad idea. I do think I would try a daily or weekly spelling test to give you another way to assess if she is mastering the spelling words.

Hope this is helpful! :001_smile:

Guest aquiverfull

Thank you all for the replies on how you review.

JanOh- Thanks for sharing how you work the review in PR.

Linda, yes, I agree I really didn't understand how to do review in PR. I'm not sure if Mrs. Beers ever really discusses that, but maybe I missed it. I need a step-by-step too. :) Thanks for sharing how you work in the review.

Honeybee- Thanks for guiding us through your day. What you do sounds fantastic, I love your idea about writing the word with all the sounds and asking your child the correct one. :)

No, this is actually for my 11 year old, so we are accelerating. We are doing one week in one day. We'll be doing weeks 13-16 this week. She already knows how to spell all the words in Level 1 but I needed her to learn the markings. I'm not actually doing the program with my 5 year old yet.

Well, boo hoo...I missed a chance to chat PR :tongue_smilie:

Looks like all the ??? were answered :D

She does mention (somewhere) about daily review as a part of each day for any words not spelled correctly the day before...I think of it like mini-tests daily that are really "practice" on words where help is needed.

We also keep a binder of past BC and FC, although you only need it a wee bit in the beginning of PR2. I don't think we referred to it more than a handful of times. There is no need to keep the TM.

I don't thing Mrs. Beers did it on purpose for financial reasons, but rather b/c she intends for the program to build upon itself (like the entire construction concept of the program). I admit, I do wish the BC and songs were labeled and not just with a music note, but I get that encourages the parent to look up and learn the material too.

Loved the breakdown of the day :) Thanks for sharing.

Thanks everyone for such great responses. I'm in the midst of that early review in PR2 so the layout is frustrating me for now but when we get through it I'll get over it. Part of what was bothering me is that since I didn't know I had to have stuff from Level 1, I packed up all of my stuff from last year and it was in a box in our storage area where I keep finished school work. So when I determined that the information wasn't there, I had to go unpack the stuff. Plus, my very distractible daughter can have trouble keeping on task if there is a squirrel out the window or a car drives by. Moving from book to book can be disastrous. I need everything right there in one spot to assure a smooth lesson. Like in math, if I leave a manipulative we need on the shelf and have to go get it - I can lose her completely LOL. To me a program that builds usually does so conceptually, not physically if that makes sense.

I have PR3 as well and it's like it's the reverse of PR2. They have all of the blank building code sheets but no list of rule tunes. I know that she wants us parents to learn this stuff to, and I do know it for the most part, but this mom is getting old and when I have to switch from discussing Plato's Republic with my 15 year old to Latin declensions with my 11 year old to rule tunes with my 7 year old in a moment's notice. I need the stuff all in front of me LOL. At least now I know and can either copy or create the lists I want so it doesn't surprise me and leave me frustrated.

In case anyone is reading this and wondering about PR - I do absolutely love it and do not regret using it for a minute. Its just sometimes there are these kinds of things you have to adjust for that can be frustrating until you deal with it.

Heather

Thanks everyone for such great responses. I'm in the midst of that early review in PR2 so the layout is frustrating me for now but when we get through it I'll get over it. Part of what was bothering me is that since I didn't know I had to have stuff from Level 1, I packed up all of my stuff from last year and it was in a box in our storage area where I keep finished school work. So when I determined that the information wasn't there, I had to go unpack the stuff. Plus, my very distractible daughter can have trouble keeping on task if there is a squirrel out the window or a car drives by. Moving from book to book can be disastrous. I need everything right there in one spot to assure a smooth lesson. Like in math, if I leave a manipulative we need on the shelf and have to go get it - I can lose her completely LOL. To me a program that builds usually does so conceptually, not physically if that makes sense.

I have PR3 as well and it's like it's the reverse of PR2. They have all of the blank building code sheets but no list of rule tunes. I know that she wants us parents to learn this stuff to, and I do know it for the most part, but this mom is getting old and when I have to switch from discussing Plato's Republic with my 15 year old to Latin declensions with my 11 year old to rule tunes with my 7 year old in a moment's notice. I need the stuff all in front of me LOL. At least now I know and can either copy or create the lists I want so it doesn't surprise me and leave me frustrated.

In case anyone is reading this and wondering about PR - I do absolutely love it and do not regret using it for a minute. Its just sometimes there are these kinds of things you have to adjust for that can be frustrating until you deal with it.

Heather

:lol: I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND! People think I'm so organized, but really it's only precaution so I can function. If everything wasn't done for me, it would never get done!