Menu

Math-U-See ?

snipsnsnailsx5

Hello!

Its our first week of using Math-U-See, and I'm using level Epsilon for my 11 yr old (6th grade), and Alpha for my 8 yr old (3rd grade), and Primer for my 6 yr old (first grade).

The first lesson was super easy for all the boys. The second lesson still looks pretty easy. I'm wondering if its common for MUS to start out so slow? The first couple concepts being taught are things the boys learned an entire grade back, beginning of the year. (Like learning to count items in my 6 yr's old case)

Is MUS challenging enough for those advanced at math? My 11 yr old was in public school last year-this is his first year homeschooling. He's advanced, and was in an advanced math class and still getting an A, although he was being challenged enough to say it was difficult.

I'm worried this program won't be challenging enough for him?

Any thoughts or suggestions on maybe a better program for him?

Thanks!

Move quicker until they reach new material.

You could give them a test a day until they reach a test where they need instruction, then back up and do that lesson.

or I have my kids do an A and C page (practice and review), if they get 95% on each, we move forward.

I have three kids using MUS and have used levels Primer through Epsilon. Two of my children have completed two levels per year. I have one child who has need to use MUS cover to cover to grasp the material. But it has been very easy to customize for each, their are no tears over math, and they are scoring well on standarized tests.

One other thought, did you do a placement test prior? And even if you did do a placement test, what I found my first year switching to MUS is the first half of the books were quite easy, but toward the back they slowed down and were quite challenged.

It sounds like your kids likely used a spiral program previously, MUS is mastery, so it's going to feel and approach things a bit differently. I wouldn't jump ship yet, just use the curriculum as a guide and adjust how you use it for each child. The conceptual understanding is like no other.

:iagree: My dd11 will use one book this year (Epsilon) and my dd12 will go through two (Zeta and probably most of Pre-Algebra). It all depends on the child. Dd 12 tested 100% on the first 8 tests so we just skipped those lessons. She is at a point now where she does need instruction but she still does 2 lessons per week. Dd11 only tested out of 2 lessons and will need to work every page for every lesson.

Mastery is not the same as spiral so the beginning of every book is going to assume no prior knowledge of the concept that book focuses on.

Thanks for the comments! That makes sense. I did do the competency test in the beginning for my older two. According to the tests, they are in the right levels. So I think you ladies are right, its just a matter of moving faster through the lessons they know.

However I do want them to get a good grasp on how to do it the Math-U-See way though, since it will help in later lessons.

This is what I've started doing now - introduce the lesson with the DVD (they like watching the DVD lol) then do one lesson sheet. The next day they do a review (if they did well on the lesson sheet) and then a test the same day. So they could be going through a lesson every two days until it gets harder.

I don't have any of the next levels though. aack! (except for my Primer son) So I think I should start looking to acquire the rest of the math-u-see levels to have on hand.

Thanks!

This is what I've started doing now - introduce the lesson with the DVD (they like watching the DVD lol) then do one lesson sheet. The next day they do a review (if they did well on the lesson sheet) and then a test the same day. So they could be going through a lesson every two days until it gets harder.

I don't have any of the next levels though. aack! (except for my Primer son) So I think I should start looking to acquire the rest of the math-u-see levels to have on hand.

Thanks!

I think your plan sounds great! This is the perfect way to customize for each child. :001_smile:

You might also consider moving your 8yo into Beta and moving the 6yo into Alpha now. I think of Primer as a Kindy level and Alpha 1st grade and so on. It doesn't work out perfectly that way for us but it is pretty close and I think most of the concepts in Primer are going to be pretty easy for a 6 yo who has already had some type of kindy math program. Same thing for Alpha for an 8yo. My 8yo is finishing Beta this year and will start Gamma by Jan at the latest.

I started Primer for my first grader and Alpha for my 3rd grader because there are still some areas they aren't very strong on from last year. My 3rd grader seems to struggle with memorizing adding/subtraction facts. I thought learning the method to find the answer would be better.

I think I'm going to do with them what I'm doing with my 11 yr old - I'm going to have them watch the DVD for the lesson and then take the test. If they do well, then the next day I'll do the next lesson.

We should go through it very fast, as its pretty easy right now. Then I'll order Beta for my 8 yr old and move my 6 yr old up to Alpha.

Thanks!