Menu

Life of Fred Prealgebra with Biology

EKS

My 11yo is using this book right now. As far as I can tell so far, the text is secular. I had a friend of mine who teaches high school algebra come over and look at it, along with LoF Algebra. I was very nervous because for 14 years I have used nothing but Saxon, with great results. My 13yo dd begged to try LoF so I bought it to look at and then, of course, my 11yo son wanted to do LoF too. My friend told me that all the topics that needed to be covered were covered. I am going to test my kids with Saxon tests from time to time, but she assured me they were legitimate to use alone.

ETA: I just realized you were asking if both of the LoF Pre-Algebra books had to be completed before Algebra, then the answer is no. I misunderstood your question.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

The author recommends completing both Pre-Algebra 1 and Pre-Algebra 2. We've completed the first book and are about 1/3 through the second and agree with him on this. Pre-Algebra 2 has a special focus on word problems, which I wouldn't want to miss. If I was going to do just one of them and my student had a solid background I'd do Pre-Algebra 2 but really would recommend completing both, especially since they don't take that long to complete.

I wouldn't call LoF purely secular. It's not like Apologia but you can tell that the author has a Christian world view. I think it would be easy to secularize but since I'm a Christian there may be things you'd notice that I wouldn't.

The author recommends completing both Pre-Algebra 1 and Pre-Algebra 2. We've completed the first book and are about 1/3 through the second and agree with him on this. Pre-Algebra 2 has a special focus on word problems, which I wouldn't want to miss. If I was going to do just one of them and my student had a solid background I'd do Pre-Algebra 2 but really would recommend completing both, especially since they don't take that long to complete.

I wouldn't call LoF purely secular. It's not like Apologia but you can tell that the author has a Christian world view. I think it would be easy to secularize but since I'm a Christian there may be things you'd notice that I wouldn't.

:iagree:I've heard the exact same thing about it being non-secular. Not overtly Christian, though. We've just started fractions, so I can't help too much at this point. We love it, though!

:iagree:I've heard the exact same thing about it being non-secular. Not overtly Christian, though. We've just started fractions, so I can't help too much at this point. We love it, though!
Fractions and Decimals & Percents have few references compared to the later books. Pre-Algebra with Biology book has an aside which I consider proselytising. This is the only incidence I've found, though I've not yet read Pre-Algebra with Economics or Linear Algebra.

Here's the text (page 138). It comes after an explanation of how the student must get used to solving equations because they'll be doing it for a long time to come.

... To get into the Masters of Business Administration program at many colleges requires a knowledge of calculus -- and calculus certainly requires algebra. The only place where a knowledge of solving equations won't be required is on the "exam" to get into Heaven. (A complete answer key to that exam can be obtained at no charge. Look in the yellow pages of your phone book between Chiropractors and Cigar Dealers.)

See, I think that is pretty funny. My kids wouldn't get it though. I would probably skip that or change it as I read it. Or explain it. I will only know when I get there.

I know that there are just a few flippant references in Fractions & Decimals and Percents, but they aren't even worth omitting.

We are starting Pre-Algebra & Biology in a few weeks... and I hope there isn't much more than that, but well, we love it so much I don't think it would matter. My kids wouldn't even notice it. They might put that into the "Oh, Fred and his silly life" department.

So.. no, it is not entirely secular... is it an "in your face" irritating kind, no. It does not permeate the texts, IMHO. I think those tiny parts are still written with the same odd humor as everything else. Maybe I am more tolerant of that sort of thing. I think I might have a bigger problem with it if I were a vegan or vegetarian. There are a lot of meat sections in these stories. My kids think it is funny.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Fractions and Decimals & Percents have few references compared to the later books. Pre-Algebra with Biology book has an aside which I consider proselytising. This is the only incidence I've found, though I've not yet read Pre-Algebra with Economics or Linear Algebra.

Here's the text (page 138). It comes after an explanation of how the student must get used to solving equations because they'll be doing it for a long time to come.

... To get into the Masters of Business Administration program at many colleges requires a knowledge of calculus -- and calculus certainly requires algebra. The only place where a knowledge of solving equations won't be required is on the "exam" to get into Heaven. (A complete answer key to that exam can be obtained at no charge. Look in the yellow pages of your phone book between Chiropractors and Cigar Dealers.)
As a Christian I see that as a joke.

See, I think that is pretty funny. My kids wouldn't get it though. I would probably skip that or change it as I read it. Or explain it. I will only know when I get there.

I know that there are just a few flippant references in Fractions & Decimals and Percents, but they aren't even worth omitting.

We are starting Pre-Algebra & Biology in a few weeks... and I hope there isn't much more than that, but well, we love it so much I don't think it would matter. My kids wouldn't even notice it. They might put that into the "Oh, Fred and his silly life" department.

So.. no, it is not entirely secular... is it an "in your face" irritating kind, no. It does not permeate the texts, IMHO. I think those tiny parts are still written with the same odd humor as everything else. Maybe I am more tolerant of that sort of thing. I think I might have a bigger problem with it if I were a vegan or vegetarian. There are a lot of meat sections in these stories. My kids think it is funny.

Yeah, like the restaurant where they serve you a whole cow:lol::lol::lol:

We used the book, and just glossed over this part. However, it's different in character than other Christian references throughout the series in that I don't recall another time in which the author addresses the reader in this manner through his narrative voice. Certainly the characters are Christian and talk about it (including a bizarre interlude in, IIRC, Beginning Algebra in which a chaplain is talking -- or trying not to talk -- to Fred about a story he was going to relate in his sermon involving virgins), and Schmidt is Christian and makes references to the Bible, etc... but this is the first time the idea of there being one way is broached. Sure it's a joke; I'd just rather it weren't there at all.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
We used the book, and just glossed over this part. However, it's different in character than other Christian references throughout the series in that I don't recall another time in which the author addresses the reader in this manner through his narrative voice. Certainly the characters are Christian and talk about it (including a bizarre interlude in, IIRC, Beginning Algebra in which a chaplain is talking -- or trying not to talk -- to Fred about a story he was going to relate in his sermon involving virgins), and Schmidt is Christian and makes references to the Bible, etc... but this is the first time the idea of there being one way is broached. Sure it's a joke; I'd just rather it weren't there at all.

If it bothers you that much you could use a black marker on it.

If it bothers you that much you could use a black marker on it.
Again, we have already used the book (and yes, I was aware of the passage before we did).

There was a discussion in this thread about whether or not LoF can be used secularly, and I gave an example... the only example I would call proselytizing (and I've read all but two of them). FWIW, I did briefly consider redacting it, but when it comes down to it, that's not what we do to books.

As I've said in other threads, LoF is right at the edge of my comfort level. Yes, the quoted text bothers me, but not to a state of frenzy or boycott or anything.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Again, we have already used the book (and yes, I was aware of the passage before we did).

There was a discussion in this thread about whether or not LoF can be used secularly, and I gave an example... the only example I would call proselytizing (and I've read all but two of them). FWIW, I did briefly consider redacting it, but when it comes down to it, that's not what we do to books.

As I've said in other threads, LoF is right at the edge of my comfort level. Yes, the quoted text bothers me, but not to a state of frenzy or boycott or anything.

I didn't mean it in a snarky way. I just meant that if you (or anyone else) is bothered by that particular example it's easily removed.

I didn't mean it in a snarky way. I just meant that if you (or anyone else) is bothered by that particular example it's easily removed.

I'm sorry. I'm more than a bit sensitive today as I spent most of yesterday deflecting MIL's barbs. She would have emphasized the *that* (as in "if it bothers you *that* much..."), so that's the way I read your post. *I* should have known better. But sometimes she just makes me want to scream, "That's not what I meant! I was just trying to give you information."

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I'm sorry. I'm more than a bit sensitive today as I spent most of yesterday deflecting MIL's barbs. She would have emphasized the *that* (as in "if it bothers you *that* much..."), so that's the way I read your post. *I* should have known better. But sometimes she just makes me want to scream, "That's not what I meant! I was just trying to give you information."

That's Ok:001_smile: I'm sorry about your MIL, and sorry I wasn't more clear.