Menu

Lost Library Book fee?

I almost always check books out from the library on my own card - the kids used to use their own, but it got too hard to track the different due dates on different cards.

So apparently we checked a book out earlier this summer that I didn't see was due on my account - because it was on my son's account. It was due several weeks ago. I just looked it up online, and it's no longer "due" - it's shown as lost, with the price of the book charged to our account, along with a lost book processing charge.

I'm too embarrassed to ask the librarian this...If I return the book now, what should I owe? $28 for the book plus $5 to process a replacement book doesn't seem right if they have the book back in their possession. 6 weeks overdue fees are closer to $10. I'd be happy to pay the $10 for my idiocy, but if they are going to still charge me $33, then I will keep the book since I paid for it!

Anybody know what standard procedure is?

Since I'm embarrassed, perhaps I can use my cell phone to call anonymously. :)

In our system, if you return the book they dismiss the other fees and you just pay the overdue fees. Also, they have a limit for the overdue fees. It's something like $10 or $15 - I've never hit it so I don't know.

I'd take the book and go talk to a librarian about it. But I'd be REALLY surprised if they expect you to pay anything more than the overdue fees.

In our system, if you return the book they dismiss the other fees and you just pay the overdue fees. Also, they have a limit for the overdue fees. It's something like $10 or $15 - I've never hit it so I don't know.

I'd take the book and go talk to a librarian about it. But I'd be REALLY surprised if they expect you to pay anything more than the overdue fees.

That's how it works at ours.

In our system, even when you've already paid the lost book fee, if you find and return the book within six months, they refund you that portion of the fee paid. Don't ask me how I know .....

As others said, I'd really be surprised if you have to pay the replacement fee. They probably haven't actually replaced the book yet -- they will be happy to get the book back.

You could always call and ask anonymously. :tongue_smilie: