Menu

2010 October PSAT sign ups start soon

For those interested...

Our local ps (high school) starts sign ups for the 2010 PSAT on Monday, September 13th. I assume other schools will be signing up soon too (if not already). Check with your local school(s).

Taking this test junior year is the ONLY way one can compete for National Merit.

Taking it sophomore year is generally considered good practice and assessment for college bound youngsters. Some choose to take it even younger (but not many, if any, in our local area do).

Our school charges $15 and it has to be paid at signup. You can only sign up at a school, not online. The test, for us, is Wednesday Oct 13th. Some schools will offer it on Saturday of that week. Those are the only two dates as far as I know.

My public service announcement ends here. :001_smile:

I have already called our local ps and found out that October 1st is the date to come pay and October 13th is testing. It is $16 here.

tigersgrowl - I was told that due to size 1/2 the kids will be in the cafeteria and the other half in a multi-purpose room. The kids not attending the school will be mixed in with the other kids. That's how they are doing it here anyway.

Thanks for this reminder.

I was wondering, I know it may be different for your school but, is there a certain room children not attending the school are put into or are they mixed in by last name?

Thanks.

In our school all homeschoolers and those from other districts are in the same room, but they are in with regular ps kids as there simply aren't enough of them to fill a room by themselves. They keep them together to be certain they fill in the correct code for the most part as it's different from the code the ps students use. It's nothing personal.

Stephanie' date=' you can take the PSAT at any school which offers the testing. It might be strange being back at your old school, so you can call any public or private school and ask them to add you to their list - the cost should be the same. :)[/quote']

Exactly what we're doing. I didn't even tell ds that's why he'll be going to a local private school. I just don't need him distracted by friends and teachers asking why he's homeschooling this year.

Thanks for the PSA!

Edited by lisabees

I signed up dd to take it at dh's school. It will be for practice since she's in 10th grade. Can anyone give me suggestions to prepare her?

When you signed her up they should have given her a practice and info booklet at the school (or have your dh ask for one). That's good to go through. Otherwise, check at your library or bookstore for PSAT practice books. In 10th grade it's not a really big issue, but she should at least go through one practice so she's not overwhelmed by it. It's ok to do more than one too. ;)

I understand Stephanie. I've been thinking about you. How has your year been going so far?

I paid for ds's slot today at the local private school. $15. It's a beauty of a school, too. I never knew...

It has been going pretty good. No complaints. Math is a bit hard but nothing I can't look up online, lol.

There is a beautiful private school by my house that I wanted to go to in middle school. My parents and I went to the open house, we all fell in love, and set up an appt. with the counselor.

$20,000 a year and that was with financial aid. We backed out of the office slowly :lol:

The test there is $25 dollars compared to $13 at my old school, but I would have had to pay charges for leaving my school ID at home, it was $13 in charges so we saved a dollar :)

I suppose I'll have to pay sometime:tongue_smilie:

When you signed her up they should have given her a practice and info booklet at the school (or have your dh ask for one). That's good to go through. Otherwise, check at your library or bookstore for PSAT practice books. In 10th grade it's not a really big issue, but she should at least go through one practice so she's not overwhelmed by it. It's ok to do more than one too. ;)

I just made the request over the phone and dh got a confirmation that everything is set. I'll have to have him check about a practice and information booklet. I went ahead and requested a prep book from the library just in case. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

I have been doing the sAT 10 testing at a local private school for the past 6 years and communication is always a struggle. Their counselor used to be part time, but now I think they have one that teaches some. I have a friend who attends the church and knows the administrators and such and so she can usually get info, though somewhat last minute. Last year the new counselor never called me back after repeated tries and I just let me friend be the go between and it was fine. I talked to the counselor in person last spring when we were testing and she said it would be fine for my son to take the PSAT this fall. She was very, very nice. I think they are just very disorganized at this school and/or she has a lot on her plate.

My friend doesn't have a child old enough to take the PSAT. I've called three times so far and left messages and the counselor has never called me back. I've thought about trying the ps, but only their 11th graders take it. I'm not sure they would let my 10th grader take it for practice.

So do you have any suggestions??

Christine

I have been doing the sAT 10 testing at a local private school for the past 6 years and communication is always a struggle. Their counselor used to be part time, but now I think they have one that teaches some. I have a friend who attends the church and knows the administrators and such and so she can usually get info, though somewhat last minute. Last year the new counselor never called me back after repeated tries and I just let me friend be the go between and it was fine. I talked to the counselor in person last spring when we were testing and she said it would be fine for my son to take the PSAT this fall. She was very, very nice. I think they are just very disorganized at this school and/or she has a lot on her plate.

My friend doesn't have a child old enough to take the PSAT. I've called three times so far and left messages and the counselor has never called me back. I've thought about trying the ps, but only their 11th graders take it. I'm not sure they would let my 10th grader take it for practice.

So do you have any suggestions??

Christine

I'd try the ps. At our ps only potentially college bound juniors take it, but they had no problem letting me sign up my 10th grader last year. I know there was at least one other homeschooled 10th grader taking it as well as the guidance person waited for them at the front, took them to their testing site, and waited with them for the parents to pick them up when it was done. I really liked it. Note: We're semi-rural. It might not be quite so personal in a large high school.

I'd try the ps. At our ps only potentially college bound juniors take it, but they had no problem letting me sign up my 10th grader last year. I know there was at least one other homeschooled 10th grader taking it as well as the guidance person waited for them at the front, took them to their testing site, and waited with them for the parents to pick them up when it was done. I really liked it. Note: We're semi-rural. It might not be quite so personal in a large high school.

We're semi-rural as well. OUr school graduates 275 or so each year. We're are a 4a school barely in Texas...just 3 students above the limit or something. Last year, we lost some and should have been 3a for football.

Christine

Thanks for this reminder.

I was wondering, I know it may be different for your school but, is there a certain room children not attending the school are put into or are they mixed in by last name?

Thanks.

I talked with the school's guidance counselor last week, and all I have to do is drop EK off at the school at 7:45 AM on Wednesday, October 13, with $13 to pay the testing fee, a calculator, a couple of #2 pencils, and either a snack or money to buy a snack at the school. I'll pick her up about 11:30. The school administers the PSAT to their 10th graders and 11th graders, and the counselor said EK will be placed in the room with their 10th graders for the testing period. It was the same procedure (and about the same price) when ER took the PSAT as a 10th grader in 2005 and as an 11th grader in 2006.