Menu

AP tests/PSAT/SAT

My son will most likely move on to Community College after high school but I am really confused on what to do with all these tests.

The AP ones say they send scores to colleges but what if we don't have one we want them sent to.

I am feeling a little lost with all this high school stuff but I want him as prepared as we can be. He is currently in 10th and I figure I better get some guidance.

I guess I just need some kind of general explanation of what to take and why to take them?

Thanks!!

Here's an at-a-glance guide to these tests. AP exams, the PSAT, and the SAT are written and sold by the College Board. For more information, click around the College Board website at:

http://www.collegeboard.com/

SAT: This is the college entrance exam used by most 4-year institutions as an entry requirement. Scholarships are often given based on the score received. There is another, somewhat different test called the ACT that performs the same functions. The SAT is usually taken in the junior or senior year of high school and is given several times throughout the year at high schools. You register online for this test.

PSAT: This is a preliminary, or "practice" SAT test. It is usually taken in 10th and 11th grades. Its two main purposes are to get students ready for the SAT and to act as a gateway (when taken in 11th grade) for the National Merit Scholarship competition. It is only given in October at high schools. You register by contacting a local school.

APs: These are exams designed to test advanced high school studies in certain subjects. The prep for these exams is comparable to freshman (and sometimes sophomore) level college work. Many (but not all) colleges give credit for certain scores on certain exams. These exams are only given in May. You register by contacting a local school.

Many homeschooling parents on these boards have had their students successfully take these exams. I suggest you read the CB website, and search these boards first for answers to your questions. If you can't find the information you need, we're here to help!

GardenMom

PSAT: This is a preliminary, or "practice" SAT test. It is usually taken in 10th and 11th grades. Its two main purposes are to get students ready for the SAT and to act as a gateway (when taken in 11th grade) for the National Merit Scholarship competition. It is only given in October at high schools. You register by contacting a local school.

GardenMom

Does this mean that if you score high enough (in our state, that's hard since we're tied for the highest minimum score) you then have to do something else to compete for a merit scholarship?

Does this mean that if you score high enough (in our state, that's hard since we're tied for the highest minimum score) you then have to do something else to compete for a merit scholarship?

Yes, that's correct for the PSAT. If your student makes the cutoff for his state for the PSAT taken in 11th year, he will be mailed a Semifinalist packet in September of 12th grade. He must complete the packet to enter in the National Merit competition. Items in required are a transcript, SAT scores, a recommendation, an essay, and a list of activities.

For more details, please see this website:

http://www.nationalmerit.org/faq_competition.php

It is a somewhat nervewracking process, but you can find lots of help right here on these boards - several of us have been through it recently.

HTH,

GardenMom

BTW, for homeschoolers the state is where you reside, not where you take the PSAT.

BTW, for homeschoolers the state is where you reside, not where you take the PSAT.

That's interesting. Would it be easy to find the link (or is it on the above page and I missed it)? I'd been contemplating sending ds back to the US, though just today signed him up here as it seemed too complicated, spendy and not necessarily giving a higher score. But I had not known about this rule and I am wondering why homeschoolers are singled out...

Thanks,

Joan

Yes, that's correct for the PSAT. If your student makes the cutoff for his state for the PSAT taken in 11th year, he will be mailed a Semifinalist packet in September of 12th grade. He must complete the packet to enter in the National Merit competition. Items in required are a transcript, SAT scores, a recommendation, an essay, and a list of activities.

It is a somewhat nervewracking process, but you can find lots of help right here on these boards - several of us have been through it recently.

HTH,

GardenMom

Thanks for the info and the link. Dd is enjoying the PSAT review book and had now decided to do it in both her Sophomore year & her Jr year. It means dealing with the local high school, though. I won't tell her about the essay yet, though, because she loathes that now. She can find that out later if she scores well enough.

That's interesting. Would it be easy to find the link (or is it on the above page and I missed it)? I'd been contemplating sending ds back to the US, though just today signed him up here as it seemed too complicated, spendy and not necessarily giving a higher score. But I had not known about this rule and I am wondering why homeschoolers are singled out...

Thanks,

Joan

Hi Joan!

I don't know about your situation - sorry! Since it's more unusual, why don't you give the NM folks a call and share what you learned here?

Blessings,

GardenMom

Thanks,

Joan

My guess is so that those living in states where you need a high score don't visit another state to make it easier to qualify. Unless you go to private school you have to go to ps where you live, so that would make it more fair.

HTH,

GardenMom

It's going to be easier than I thought. I bypassed the woman who gave me the hard time last year about taking Latin as a part time student & went straight to the guidance department. There your counsellor is assigned by where you are in the alphabet. I liked the woman on the phone, starting with the fact that she intro'd herself as first lastname instead of mrs so&so. She called back the very same day during the first day of school, too. It didn't hurt that I mentioned that dd wants to go to ps next year in the honours program if she qualifies (they test you, and this starts with dc coming in from gr 8 in ps. I'm to call the week of the 20th when she should have the sign ups available. dd was working on a practice test last night & she only started the PSAT study guide Monday. Why can't she find all her work so fun?

Sorry, I'm just getting back to this thread!

Thanks for the responses!

I knew what the purpose of each test was I guess I was just wondering if it's an advantage to his future even if he was only going to move on to community college at first.

I had the feeling that it would look good as a homeschooled student to people in my family, like it would prove how well his has done. That's what was in my head anyway.

So I suppose it's just not worth the trouble??