Menu

I am still on the edge of a decision and it's killing me!

Aoife

Yeah I know dramatic right :lol:

But seriously just when I think I have figured it out that lingering doubt or desire floats on back and ruins my resolve. :tongue_smilie: I just can't decide whether or not to go the PR route and if I do where to start in it. economically it doesn't make sense to buy PR but I just can't get over the benefits it might have to my DC. I need help to hold me back or push me forward LOL

Here are some points that I am tossing around to make my decision:

I already own AAS 1-3

Already own Aesops LA from RFWP ( 3 copies in fact for all 3 boys :tongue_smilie: )

Already own and use MCT island level with my 9yo

littles will go through dancing bears for learning to read first so should have a good grasp on phonics and might need to move faster then AAS not sure though?

We like materials as secular as possible as we have a blend of religion in our home and prefer to teach it separately to avoid leaning any one way too much.

I like a lot of hand holding, like what to do and when to do, lists, instructions and time savers

We already own writeshop primary a-c and writeshop 1+2

I hear there is much more and better instruction on syllables in AAS and I don't want to miss out on that

I have a 9yo DSD that is in serious need of phonics/spelling help but since she is already reading I don't want to move too slowly for her yet not too fast that she doesn't get all she needs to help her

The rule tunes, grammar tunes and markings are soooo tempting though as my DS1 loves little tunes and really latches onto and memorizes songs easily. I wish there was a way to incorporate that into AAS that didn't involve mommy "writing" rule tunes herself. :lol: I am almost even considering just getting PR1 and doing it alongside AAS just to get the rule tunes and markings and then not going past PR1 because we don't need all the other LA but can I justify another 199 for another spelling program?

ACK help me I suck at decisions! :lol:

Edited by Aoife

I'd start with what you have and evaluate again in January. If your kids are making good progress and what you have is working, then keep going. If something isn't working, then consider whether PR or something else might help out. Grass is greener syndrome is dangerous, LOL! Sometimes it really is greener, but sometimes not. There's so much good curriculum out there--but there's no way to use all of it. So...try what you have and see how it goes, and then you'll know if you need to spend more $$$!

If you need AAS to go faster, you can do that. In sections where your 9 yo has already memorized how to spell the words, you don't have to make him do all of the words and dictations. Teach the concept, and have him demonstrate it back to you. If he's obviously understood it and already has the words memorized, move on to the next step. If he needs more time on a concept, do the whole lesson. Fast track through the steps until you get to a place where your 9 yo doesn't already have the words memorized. But filling in the gaps is important--just because a child has memorized how to spell "cat" and "kept," doesn't mean that child knows why one uses a C and the other uses a K. So fill in the gaps but don't waste time on things your 9 yo DOES know--make sense?

HTH some! Merry :-)

If you're not planning to stick with PR past level 1, I wouldn't get it.

I have PR1, SWR and AAS1. Currently I don't use SWR but I have read through the book a couple of times and I really like it (and the Wise Guide). For me so far, PR1 is just ok. I think I could have gotten the same thing from SWR but of course I wouldn't have the DVDs that show how to do it that you get with PR1. Maybe it's because I had already started PR1 when I started reading SWR, but SWR really doesn't seem all that complicated to me.

You can get SWR and the Wise Guide used for a decent price and it lasts for several years.

Then again, you could always get PR1, and then resell it when you're done. :tongue_smilie:

The rule tunes, grammar tunes and markings are soooo tempting though as my DS1 loves little tunes and really latches onto and memorizes songs easily. I wish there was a way to incorporate that into AAS that didn't involve mommy "writing" rule tunes herself. :lol:

I have no idea what all songs are in PR, but for grammar tunes, my favorite is always Grammar Rock... :D

It sounds like you already have solid materials. I like the PP advice to use what you have very consistently and reevaluate in January.

I think there are so many products on the market that it's easy to get overwhelmed, when really, any will probably work. The longer I do this the more I realize that with any solid HS product that's used consistently, the result will be within 5% of any comparable curriculum on the market. I've always heard wise HS moms tell others - the curriculum that works is the one you actually use. Stop sweating and researching - go teach! :)

After a good night's rest, talking to DH more and really thinking it out I am going to stick with my original plans and the stuff I already have thanks for the encouragement ladies!

My plans are:

rest of this year (pre-k)

dancing bears for reading

a bunch of readers we already have.

HWOT pre-K

next year (K)

keep going on dancing bears

start working on Aesops LA by RFWP

Write source K

Start up on AAS1

For my 9yo who is is need of spelling help

AAS1 going at her pace

Writeshop primary A ( we've already started this)

For the 12yo we will start megawords I believe.

I also got a copy of how to teach spelling so we can have some more difficult word lists for AAS as recommended by carmen :) Does this sound like a good and solid plan? thanks again!

and thanks elizabeth I will look into those songs!