Menu

root canal....... complications???

I had a root canal done on Tuesday. My pain is still severe, but only when I eat. I have to take tiny bites and only chew on the opposite side of my mouth, opposite of the treated tooth. Still, eating causes me major pain, even though I'm not using the left side of my mouth at all - the side where the root canal was done. Off and on over the past two days I'd have head pressure which felt like a sinus issue. It is coming and going but more constant today.

I ate a veggie burrito at 1:00 and I'm still having pain from that 3.5 hours later. I took a Vicodin which I had from my ankle sprain and I'm still feeling pain. Not severe, but I feel it.

The pressure coming and going is concerning.............

Does this sound normal? I'm fine if I don't eat at all so I don't think it's an infection. I have the stuffiness whether or not I eat and I'm not sure if that's related. Do you think this could be related to the root canal? I tried to call the office but they must have left early for the holiday weekend.

Yes, it probably is from the RCT if it's a top tooth. Don't let them tell you 7 days is normal for recovery. I did that and they kept adding on 7 more days. :glare: You may have a failed root canal. :( Or you may just need some antibiotics. The infection on mine got really bad. I switched dentists and was finally retreated!

ETA: They don't have an oncall? :( They should!

Edited by jannylynn

My root canal was REALLY painful for 4 days after and then only mildly painful for another week. Even 2 weeks later it was still noticeable. I went back to the dentist 2 times afterward to make sure the pain was normal and it was.

Wouldn't wish a root canal on my worst enemy.

:grouphug: Hope you start feeling better. Use lots of ice on your face, rent a bunch of movies, and feel free to drink lots of milk shakes! ;)

totally NOT normal. It sounds like an infection. I had a failed root canal (they missed a nerve..) and I ended up losing the tooth. On another, the tooth actually SPLIT in half while the dentist was doing it. It was HORRIBLE! That tooth was pulled as well....sigh....

I hope you have a better outcome. RC are NOT FUN!

Hope you feel better......

Faithe

Mine wasn't a root canal, but I did get a *very deep* filling back in June that continues to hurt. My dentist (who I highly respect) says that because that part of your body heals so slowly, it may hurt for 30 days and will definitely stop by 90 days (they've done studies). I stopped taking ibuprofen for it about a week ago, after 8 straight weeks of full doses. Before that, I had to keep myself drugged consistently so it wouldn't become inflamed and start hurting again. I had silver fillings put in, which are terribly sensitive to temperature changes as well.

They *did* tell me that if the pain got worse, did not go away with consistent painkiller use, or started throbbing like your heartbeat - to call the emergency line. So if you think it's still infected, I'd definitely get it checked out.

Not normal at all. I have had several root canals and this has never happened. In my unprofessional opinion, the only pain you should have would be at the injection site and that should go away w/in a day or so.

If you are in pain such that you can't chew, something is wrong. It could be that they missed a root or that the tooth itself is damaged.

Call the dr. office and their ans. service or machine will have instructions on what to do in an emergency - don't hesitate to follow them, even if it means a weekend dentist appointment. A good dentist wouldn't want you to be in pain like that.

On one of the root canals I have had (I think I have had five) I was in major pain like you after it and it wasn't from the root canal itself but from my jaw being over extended so long during the procedure. It hurt almost as bad as the tooth did before the root canal. What helped me the most was Ibuprofin probably because it is an anti inflamatory. I would still check in with the doctor though just to be sure. You have my total sympathy. May neither of us ever need another one!:001_smile:

One final thought if you have teeth like mine that are in constant need of something. A few years ago my dentist started giving me a perscription strength floride toothpast to use at home along with floride treatments twice a year like they do with the kids. I have hardly had any problems since this was started. My mouth and my pocket book are now exceedingly happy.

Hubby has had several root canals (4?), and on one he had pretty severe pain afterwards. Turned out that when the dentist did the filling he left too much material, so the tooth was higher than it should have been, causing him a lot of pain when biting down. I'm so sorry this happened right before the holiday weekend. If there's an emergency number, I would try that.