Menu

Can I do this with Lials?

Is it possible to use Lials as the main curriculum and then use Saxon's problems for extra problems?

I don't know if I can do this considering Saxon's unique form of teaching, or should I switch this around and do Saxon as the main curriculum and use Lial's as a supplement. I like Lials form of teaching, and I also like Saxon constant review.

Is this possible?

If Lial's has review every chapter or two, then you may not need Saxon for review. The constant review can bog you down...

Since we didn't like Saxon (we are people who have to go in order), I would say maybe use Lial's exclusively, and use Saxon for more explanation if you need it (Saxon teaches well).

Try that and see how it goes. It can drive you crazy to hop curriculum!! BTDT

If Lial's has review every chapter or two, then you may not need Saxon for review. The constant review can bog you down...

Since we didn't like Saxon (we are people who have to go in order), I would say maybe use Lial's exclusively, and use Saxon for more explanation if you need it (Saxon teaches well).

Try that and see how it goes. It can drive you crazy to hop curriculum!! BTDT

I think that should work just fine, Saxon does explain things well. The reason why a lot of people don't like it is because it jumps around a lot, which I can do if the concept has been taught to me beforehand.

From our experience, Lial's has more then enough problems in each chapter, and there is a cumulative review at the end of each chapter. We have also found the explanations to be very clear. You may find that you won't need the Saxon book if you use Lial's as your spine.

That could work, I am not familiar with either program so that is why I ask!

Any other opinions?:bigear:

I'll add that I agree the lials cummalative reviews were plenty for my 2 boys so far. We do the odds only in the lesson exercises, if they had particular trouble with the lessons or if the cummalative review for a chapter didn't go well, then I would have them go back and do the even problems from that section.