Menu

Renaissance Faire

We are going to the Renaissance Faire :biggrinjester: for the first time this weekend. It looks a little pricey so I am wanting to really get my money's worth. Any tips ahead of time from those of you who have been? What to take/ plan for / see / do and not do? dds are 5 and 7 by the way. Thanks!

We are going to the Renaissance Faire :biggrinjester: for the first time this weekend. It looks a little pricey so I am wanting to really get my money's worth. Any tips ahead of time from those of you who have been? What to take/ plan for / see / do and not do? dds are 5 and 7 by the way. Thanks!

Hey, I'm originally from Cols! Now in NC!

We went to the Renaissance Faire 2 years ago so I can only speak about our experience here in NC....don't know if it's the same "company" or not.

We asked questions like you in advance to be fully eqipped. We walked a bit from the grassy area to the entrance. We took a backpack with just money, bottled water, etc. Not too heavey b/c you're carrying it for hours!

Get a map!

Find out "event" times. Some of the special events are "scheduled" but for only a few performances, like the jousting.

Piggy backing on the above....go EARLY to the popular special events to get seates. Otherwise you'll stand. Jousting is VERY popular.

Last piggy back....know which events cost extra. See below.

You'll be out in full sun all day or at least many hours.

Know where the bathrooms/port a johns are.

Take hand sanitizer. ;)

There are places to buy food....mostly fast food.

I paid about $20 to have my dd's hair french braided. It was WORTH IT. It lasted about 6 days!!!

Go early in the morning. Preferable NOT on a public school day. There WILL be tons of kids.

Go early to avoid the mad rush and you'll have less wait time, safer, etc, etc, etc.

HTH. Sheryl <><

Well, we went last year with my then 11 year old son and a group of other homeschoolers from our town who were of all ages. I hate to sort of be a spoilsport, but none of us liked it very much. There was way too much fantasy and way too little actual history for us. Even though it was a school day, there were way more high schoolers than younger kids there and most of the acts seemed geared more toward the bawdy and adult crowds (so maybe other teachers already knew that and thus the older crowd).

There was a lot of stuff for sale and lots of activities inside had an extra charge.

We thought the best things were a group of German women near the food area who provided some good historical info and the jousting. We are all agreed that the jousting was very good.

I would never take younger children into the torture house (which purported to detail various tortures of the medieval period; it was a mess).....

I guess I didn't realize that there seems to be a current trend - I guess because of various video games, books, etc. - to link medieval with fantasy genres. So it really wasn't what we were expecting.

There's a smaller Renaissance Faire that takes place in the summer in Kentucky. I haven't looked into it yet to see if it might be more authentic, but I know an SCA guy here in town so I can ask him if he knows about it.

We've done the medieval banquet out at Excalibur in Vegas in past and it was better than this faire. I think they do a similar thing at Medieval Times down in the Orlando area.

I'm not sure about any other, closer, options for medieval experiences, except the Frazier Arms Museum in Louisville, which is absolutely excellent!

Prepare everyone that they will see lots of bo0bage! Sorry to be so frank, but that was our experience here in GA, and unfortunately, that's what everyone most remembers.

:lol:

DW & I commented on THAT when we went for 1st time last summer!! I couldn't talk her into buying a chainmail bustier...ah well...

We had fun, didn't dress up or anything, kids loved the jousting, the sword play, the music (some excellent musicians there), the crafts (just looking, no buying, thanks...) and the costumes.

2 things surprised me a bit, but no biggie.

1. the 'sauciness' of the environment in some of the formal plays/comedic acts/magic shows

2. the free-flowing alcohol even before 12:00 noon.

My kids weren't scarred, by any means, and we left before evening, so I think the boozing was mild...leaving early is std. practice at any public activity where alcohol is served...seems to work for us.