Menu

Notgrass History

I've used all of there stuff for both of my teenagers. They loved it. I'd say the history might be a little light, not as detailed as I'd like but kids said it was good. There is no literary analysis in it just books to read with a few comprehension questions asked after you read the books. I liked the writing program. It gives the child 3 choices to write about. The bible portion is good but not enough to constitute a whole credit for Bible, at least IMHO. Like I said if you search the archives you'll have a lot of info on this. It's been discussed a lot.

We just started this and so far I really like it...so do the kids. We read it aloud together and it has sparked many a good discussions already. We haven't really gotten into the "history" part yet...so far it's been a discussion on worldview and how we see history. I plan to supplement with history channel dvds and some other things when we feel like it.

I'm only counting it as a history and English credit and feel like I need to supplement the English credit with some grammar, discussion etc. We aren't using the writing component this semester as I signed the kids up for an online writing class instead....maybe we'll use that part next semester. There is alot of literature reading for our "doesn't like reading" son....it will suite our daughter just fine.

Janine

You might want to look at MFW. It uses the Notgrass World History textbook over 2 years and includes lesson plans for literature, writing, and Bible as well as history. It's enough to get 3 credits each year. I'm very strongly considering it for my dd next year in 9th. I haven't used it myself, though.

We've used their programs and really liked them. As others have mentioned, we supplement their English with vocab via Wordly-Wise and try to get guides for some of the books, but then count it as two credits (English/History). My boys do the Bible readings, but we don't count it as a Bible credit.