Menu

How do you know the reading level?

MsAlimar

I see lots of comments about the reading/grade level of kids. How do you find that out without extensive testing?

My daughter is starting 1st grade and this summer her reading really took off. I'm curious at what her level is but I don't know how to find out. I don't really want to give her an official test. Is there something online or an easy way to get a ballpark answer?

Do you have any newer paperbacks that she can read? If so, check the back cover for a reading level. Sometimes it's listed in the lower corner. It would look something like RL 3, which means Reading Level 3rd grade. If it has a decimal like RL 2.5, it means Reading Level 2nd grade, 5 months - so, the 5th month of 2nd grade.

Part II of the NRRF test is the best quick free test out there, I think.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/readinggradeleve.html

The wide range test is quicker, but it is based on sight words and gives elevated grade levels for the first few grades and lower grade levels for the higher areas.

The NRRF test is based on norms in the early 1900s, so is a grade level or two below currect norms, but it is closer to where a child well taught with a good phonics program should be. (Its first grade level is today's 2nd or 3 rd grade level.)

Edited by ElizabethB