Menu

Journal article on homeschool success in college

Homeschool success in college:

Homeschoolers do well in college

Major findings of study:

1. Homeschool students earned a higher ACT score (26.5) versus 25.0 for other incoming freshmen.
  2. Homeschool students earned more college credits (14.7) prior to their freshmen year than other students (6.0).
  3. Homeschooled freshmen were less likely to live on campus (72.4%) than the rest of the freshmen class (92.7%).
  4. Homeschoolers were more likely to identify themselves as Roman Catholic (68.4%).
  5. Homeschool freshmen earned a higher grade points average (3.37) their first semester in college compared with the other freshmen (3.08).
  6. Homeschool students finished their freshmen year with a better GPA (3.41) than the rest of their class (3.12).
  7. The GPA advantage was still present when homeschoolers were college seniors. Their average GPA was 3.46 versus 3.16 for other seniors.
  8. Homeschool students graduated from college at a higher rate (66.7%) than their peers (57.5%).

Yea! More motivation to keep it up.

Interesting article and data. I wonder how the data would change if they looked at more than one college. It's too bad there aren't a few more studies to compare.

I do know we've run into no problems at all looking at colleges, both secular and Christian, even when the admin knows we homeschool. About half of the ad coms will tell us they really like homeschooled students. The others don't mention anything about it one way or another, but easily talk about what the requirements are. I don't start actively looking until my boys have test scores to back up our mommy grades though. I have no idea if that makes a difference or not.

Was this in the study or the article's author's opinion?

Er? Never develop social skills?

My take on it was that the author was repeating a stereotype - not anything from the study. It was difficult to know if they were repeating it in jest or because they believe it. I suppose one would need to follow the blog more to know for sure.

Interesting article and data. I wonder how the data would change if they looked at more than one college. It's too bad there aren't a few more studies to compare.

I wish it covered more than one college, too. At this un-named university in the Midwest (why not named?) 19% of the students attended a Catholic high school...and 68% of the homeschoolers identify themselves as Catholic. So his research covers only a very specific demographic group. So at best, the research proves that Catholic homeschoolers from the Midwest do better in college than their public or private school counterparts.