Menu

Coming out of (mostly) lurkdom to say hello!

I've posted a couple of times, but I've mostly just read the board for the past year or so. I'm notoriously shy to meet people, even online, but I've been feeling more and more like I'd like to join in here. Soooooo........(gulp)

Hi! :tongue_smilie:

We're on our second year of homeschooling, and I'm finally starting to feel like I sort-of know what I'm doing! I still tend to plan the next day's work the night before, but we're at the point now where my kids don't ask me, "Are we doing school today?" every single day! :lol: We took the summer off (DH is a teacher), but we just started up again last week with the basic subjects while I wait for the rest of my curriculum to get here.

Let's see......

I've been home with my kids since the very beginning. I wasn't so good at being home with littles, mostly because the days seemed endlessly long, but as they have gotten a little older, I've found that I like being around them more and more. Our oldest did go to school for K and 1st, but I never felt good about that experience. I remember dropping him off at his classroom for the first time and just feeling so sad, like I was abandoning my baby! But my youngest was a handful (well, more like 4 handfuls :glare:) and I didn't know what else to do. By first grade, I was strongly feeling like we should pull DS out, but my DH was genuinely convinced that I wouldn't enjoy homeschooling and that I'd lose my mind (figuratively, I think! :lol:).

DS was doing extremely well academically, but not so much socially (he's an Aspie). He was constantly bored in class, and very unhappy on the playground, where he would finally get a chance to talk but nobody wanted to listen. He started getting into trouble for reading his own books during class after finishing his work, and then he started having trouble with bullies on the playground. I spent months agonizing over what to do, but when I finally just listened to what God was putting in my heart, the answer became very clear. I made my decision to homeschool shortly before the end of 1st grade, and when I told my DH I was sure, he agreed. And I have to say, I've never felt such peace in my whole life!! :)

Our first year was pretty crazy, as we all got used to each other again, and we had to do some major deschooling with my oldest. He had lost some of his love for learning, and it took awhile to get it back. And my youngest had a lot of trouble adjusting to his big brother needing my attention too! But we're finally getting to where we can do lessons and actually finish them the same day! We're doing lots of reading aloud, both of my kids adore history, and we're even doing Latin because DS8 insisted! And my youngest is reading really well, even though I sometimes wonder how he can possibly learn anything since he never. sits. still. :confused: :lol:

So anyway, that's my novel for today! I already feel like I know many of you from reading so many posts. Now I just have to write some more of my own! :tongue_smilie:

Edited by caayenne
Cutting down on wordiness!

Welcome Andrea. Glad you're out of the closet or is it off the shelf?:lol:

I was a lurker also but joining in is much more fun. Sounds like you are enjoying homeschooling after the traumatic first year we all have had.

I once heard that homeschooling was made for Aspies or is it vice versa? Your boys are very fortunate to be at home with you.

Carolyn in Georgia

Welcome! It's nice to "meet" you!
Thanks! Nice to meet you too!

Welcome Andrea. Glad you're out of the closet or is it off the shelf?:lol:

I was a lurker also but joining in is much more fun. Sounds like you are enjoying homeschooling after the traumatic first year we all have had.

I once heard that homeschooling was made for Aspies or is it vice versa? Your boys are very fortunate to be at home with you.

Thanks for the welcome! Yes, it certainly seems to be a good fit for him. I am lucky to have such fun kids! Even when they're bouncing off the walls, like they are right now! :willy_nilly: :glare: Edited by caayenne

Guest CarolineUK

Hi Andrea, we're just starting our second year homeschooling with DS9 and DS6 (I also have DS11 out at school and DS3 bugging everyone). I could really relate to a lot of what you said in your post, it's really good to meet up with like-minded people on this board.

Tomorrow is our 'official' first day of our new school year (because it's the day DS11 goes back to school), so I'm off now to hide in the dining room, where most of our school work is done, to prepare. I was told a year ago that the first year is the hardest, I'm hoping so. Hope you have a fun and successful time too, I'm sure we'll meet again on these boards soon.

Hi Andrea, we're just starting our second year homeschooling with DS9 and DS6 (I also have DS11 out at school and DS3 bugging everyone). I could really relate to a lot of what you said in your post, it's really good to meet up with like-minded people on this board.

Tomorrow is our 'official' first day of our new school year (because it's the day DS11 goes back to school), so I'm off now to hide in the dining room, where most of our school work is done, to prepare. I was told a year ago that the first year is the hardest, I'm hoping so. Hope you have a fun and successful time too, I'm sure we'll meet again on these boards soon.

Hi Caroline! It's nice to meet you, too. Wow, so you have twice the fun with four boys, huh? ;) Yes, I'm very happy to be past the first year. It was a lot harder than I had anticipated, and I always expect the worst, so.....:).

I hope your first day goes well. Our first day was still pretty crazy but so much better than last year's first day that I was thrilled.

Welcome, I am also more of a "listener". I dislike the word "lurker".

:001_smile: I know, it makes you sound a bit like a creepy guy hiding in the shadows, doesn't it? I like "listener" though. My DH would be :lol: right now, though. With him, I tend to be more of a "talker"! :D But with people I don't know well, I definitely listen more and talk less. Thanks for the welcome!