Menu

My 3rd grader missed every single

sixglides

My kids had some difficulty with this skill. I think what happens is that the child is so used to seeing sentences (how often do they read phrases) that they sort of figure in the rest. I've noticed with some practice, it clicks and then all is fine.

Fact vs opinion was another one for us.

It's probably easier for her to hear that a phrase is not a sentence because of the inflections of your voice when you read it. It's a lot easier to distinguish when you hear it vs. when you read it unless you're really good at "hearing" what you read in your head. But you can HEAR that a phrase is unfinished by how the speaker says it. She still needs to be able to recognize them on her own, though--could you have her read them out loud herself a couple of times before she decides? That might help.

It's probably easier for her to hear that a phrase is not a sentence because of the inflections of your voice when you read it. It's a lot easier to distinguish when you hear it vs. when you read it unless you're really good at "hearing" what you read in your head. But you can HEAR that a phrase is unfinished by how the speaker says it. She still needs to be able to recognize them on her own, though--could you have her read them out loud herself a couple of times before she decides? That might help.

:iagree:

It's because she can hear it when you read it. Have her read aloud if she has trouble again.

ETA: I just noticed that you say that she struggles with reading. I have a son with dyslexia and I didn't start doing grammar with him until 5th grade after he had been reading well for a year.

Edited by EKS

This was going to be my advice. Have her read them out loud to herself. If that doesn't work I'd do them with her and then start having her do one or two at a time out loud with you there to see if she can do it that way. Eventually you can move her to being more independent with it.

I did try really hard to not give away the answers with my inflections. Thanks for the input!

Let her read them out loud to you, so she can figure it out. It will be reading practice, too, as well as grammar.