Menu

Key to Algebra- annoyed

So, the answer key for Key to Algebra is annoying me. Has anyone else used this and found errors? I am not great at Algebra to begin with and I need the key to be right!!

When multiplying integers - the rule is postive x negative = negative right? Also, negative x negative = positive right? So the key says

(-3)(-3)(-3) = -27 but it shoud be +27 right? Am I right or am I missing something?

Another one says 6 x -5 x -3 = 90 but shouldn't it be -90 ???

My son doesn't need this confusion!:banghead:

Edited to add: OK- nevermind. I have had my coffee and I see clearly now. It's just another moron morning over here!!

Edited by TXMary2

So, the answer key for Key to Algebra is annoying me. Has anyone else used this and found errors? I am not great at Algebra to begin with and I need the key to be right!!

When multiplying integers - the rule is postive x negative = negative right? Also, negative x negative = positive right? So the key says

(-3)(-3)(-3) = -27 but it shoud be +27 right? Am I right or am I missing something?

Another one says 6 x -5 x -3 = 90 but shouldn't it be -90 ???

My son doesn't need this confusion!:banghead:

(-3)(-3) is positive. 3. Then that(3)(-3) is negative. So the answer is -27.

(6)(-5) is (-11). That (-30)(-3) will result in a positive. 90.

(-3)(-3)(-3) the first 2 are multiplied to get a positive 9-- now you have (+9)(-3) and positive times a negative is a negative so result is -27

For the second one :6 x -5 x -3

6 x (-5) = -30

(-30) x (-3) = + 90 negative times a negative is a positive.

You can only multiply 2 numbers together at one time when you have 'strings' of multiplication. Both of your problems require 2 steps.

No, the answers in the book are correct.

Your statement above is correct too. A negative times a negative is a positive. And a negative times a positive is a negative. But a negative times a negative times a negative is a negative... ;)

An odd number of negative multipliers will give you a negative number.

And even number of negative multipliers will give you a positive number.

Think about it in words, if that helps. I like Sarah Lee is positive. I don't like Sarah Lee is negative. "Nobody doesn't like Sarah Lee" (the old ad campaign) is positive -- it means that *everybody* likes Sarah Lee. But if "It's not true that nobody doesn't like Sarah Lee," takes you back to a single negative: somebody doesn't like Sarah Lee. But if you said, "It's not untrue that nobody doesn't like Sarah Lee," then once again the ultimate *meaning* of your statement is positive: everybody likes Sarah Lee... It goes on and on forever. Two negatives cancel each other out. A third makes the whole negative again. Odd numbers of negatives = a negative.

And a trick for this? Just imagine two subtraction symbols ganging up to make an addition symbol. :)

So if you have: (-5)(-3)(-2)(-7)(-2)= (+5)(3)(+2)(7)(-2)= (5)(3)(2)(7)(-2)= -420...

But if you have:(-5)(-3)(-2)(-7)(-2)(-1)= (+5)(3)(+2)(7)(+2)(1)= (5)(3)(2)(7)(2)(1)= 420...