Menu

Left-handed mum vs right-handed child

desertmum

I am teaching handwriting readiness to my 4yo son who insists on wanting to write despite his young age. Taught him how to grip the pencil, check. Taught him posture, check. Left-handed mummy hooks her left hand to write and so my son, who is right-handed, wants to hook his hand too. Disaster. I was taught to write by teachers who did not know how to address the needs of a south-paw so I learned to hook my hand over the lines. I certainly don't want ds picking up this bad habit.

If I tell my ds mummy is not doing it "right" he won't listen to the rest of the instructions, right? Is it even possible to "unhook" my hand after so many years? Or is it a case of "do as I tell you, don't do as I do"? Any ideas? :confused:

I am :bigear:

Guest mrsjamiesouth

Have you looked at Handwriting without Tears? It has some helpful tips for teaching writing if you are different handed. Also, I would explain to him that because you are left-handed you have to write differently than him. Tell him how much easier it is to be right-handed and make him feel special.

I am left-handed and both of my sons are right-handed too!

A couple of ideas ...

Tell him that left handed people used a different hand position from right handed people. Thus, he needs to hold his hand differently from you, without saying that you do it wrong. Point out how other right-handed people (relatives, friends, the librarian jotting down a note, etc.) don't hook their hands.

Try teaching handwriting on a vertical chalkboard or whiteboard. (Assuming, of course, that you don't hook your hand when writing on such a surface.)

ETA: I'm left handed but my four year old is unquestionably right handed.

Edited by Kuovonne

Does he have the hook because he's copying you or is it just natural? I am left handed but don't write with a hook. DS, who is right handed, does. I thought I had read somewhere that the hook had more to do with what side of your brain was language dominant.:confused: Here's an article that mentions it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A1311030 It was years ago that I read that, so I'm surprised I was able to find something. It's such a curious and facinating subject for me. (I'm not completely left handed and cut right, when DS1 was young, he decided he was going to cut with his left hand so he wouldn't be like me, but is right handed. I think my kids are just confused in their handedness.:001_huh:) Good luck.

I like the idea of using other people to model for him. Could your dh show him how he writes? If I wrote with a hook, I'd be honest with my ds that it is the wrong way and you'd like him to learn better. My 6yo would really respond to that...not sure my 4yo would be mature enough to understand though.

I was nervous about teaching my right-handed ds. Dh is a lefty too so I didn't have any backup. It actually ended up not being an issue. I hope that's true for you after you solve this little issue.

I have the exact opposite problem...and I really think it is one of the primary factors in my son's delayed ability to write properly. In the beginning...and for quite some time...I looked at my own hand and tried to make him hold his pencil and align his paper in a mirror image manner. It wasn't until my south-pawed sister showed up and saved me from imposing such strict limits on my son that things improved (which is great b/c as it turns out my daughter is also a lefty). Now his handwriting is...pretty good...and his pencil hold, while not my ideal, isn't a problem. Perhaps you should seek the assistance of a righty relative or friend.

Thank you for the replies and suggestions. DS wasn't hooking his hand in the beginning. He was copying me I think. I may ask DH to show him too so he has another role model to copy as well (although DH doesn't write unless is in print!). I don't think at 4 will understand mummy wasn't taught properly. I'll just say it is because I write with my left and leave further explanations for later! In the meantime I will have a cuppa and a :chillpill:

I'm really good at feeling guilty for stuff...