Menu

Career help?

I am looking for careers that fit the following:

*Extensive interaction with people

*Work generally in one location (not outside sales)

*Mostly outdoors (or at least not in an office)

*Does not require someone to be mechanically inclined (most trades are out)

*Can require college, but not advanced degrees.

Park Ranger is on the list, but I need to expand the list some.:D Any ideas?

Park Ranger is on the list, but I need to expand the list some.:D Any ideas?

And I was really going to say park ranger.

Policeman? Game warden?

Are you sure skilled trades are out? They are such a dying breed. I would think if one had enough mechanical aptitude to handle the basics of your trade and return phone calls and show up when you say you will, could practically mint money in the back of your plumber's van. :glare:

Terri

Are you making this list as consideration for a young person going to college, or for a slightly older person changing careers?

I ask because a park ranger job is really, really hard to get!!

Slightly older person changing careers.

I know park ranger is hard to get, so I am branching out from there.

Edited by Renee in FL

And I was really going to say park ranger.

Policeman? Game warden?

Are you sure skilled trades are out? They are such a dying breed. I would think if one had enough mechanical aptitude to handle the basics of your trade and return phone calls and show up when you say you will, could practically mint money in the back of your plumber's van. :glare:

Terri

Yes, skilled trades are out.

What about a groundskeeper at a school or camp. Our summer camp has a family that lives there and the man is in charge of the grounds all year.

I asked about the park ranger, thinking it may be for your oldest ds. My brother has an undergraduate degree in forestry and a masters, along with most of his friends, and they all laugh about finding a park ranger job. It is the ideal and can be kept until retirement, so no one ever leaves!!

What about a groundskeeper at a school or camp. Our summer camp has a family that lives there and the man is in charge of the grounds all year.

I asked about the park ranger, thinking it may be for your oldest ds. My brother has an undergraduate degree in forestry and a masters, along with most of his friends, and they all laugh about finding a park ranger job. It is the ideal and can be kept until retirement, so no one ever leaves!!

Let me clarify that the job must pay more than $30K per year with room for advancement. Groundskeeper jobs are $10 an hour jobs - we have one of those! What I hope for is a job that starts at $30-34K with a salary range up into the $50's with experience.

It's funny that you say that about park ranger - I wouldn't have thought a forestry degree would prepare you to be a park ranger (it would prepare you to be a forester, though, which is a good career, too!) There is a program at a university in NC that prepares you for park ranger jobs and they give you specific strategies, but it is a parks and recreation major. They have created a degree program that you tailor to whatever agency you want to work for that allows you to take courses at several different other programs, and even gives credit for the Park Ranger law enforcement course. There is co-op experience built in, summer seasonal job contacts, etc.

It is very difficult to do (even with tailoring your experience and education), so I am looking for broader things.

Jobs working with animals would be good, too, but in the sense of teaching others about the animals, their habitats, etc.

The ideal job would be one like someone he has known for a long time has - he runs a state park with a nature center. However, since that is a park ranger job, it isn't likely.

Environmental Education? He isn't a tree-hugger type, though. (I mean that in the most positive, loving, appreciative sense!:D) He's more Grizzly Adams than Save the Rainforest.

The goal is to get him making enough money so I can return to homeschooling. I would work and the kids would go to school until he was done with school. It may be that after he started school he would find other interests, but we need a start.