Menu

Brag warning: My children just wrote their first outlines!

I am so proud of them. And it wasn't as tough as they (or I) feared it would be. They have been working through the outlining workbook Susan recommends, and I have been working with them on taking notes during the sermon (they hand out outlines with blanks) for a few months.

But today I sat one of them down with the OOP Kingfisher red book and the other with the Oxford Ancient History, and I had them outline a two-page spread. (I own the new Kingfisher too, but I've heard it's harder to outline, so I'm substituting the Oxford volume instead for this purpose.)

They finished in about 45 minutes and produced a credible outline with only a little bit of help! Hooray!

This is a far cry from when we started CW Aesop last fall and it took a week to produce a decent summary. And it was painful for them (and me by extension). BTW, they are down to doing a CW summary in one or two work sessions and it comes much more easily.

So they are actually learning and accomplishing! I haven't ruined them yet!