Menu

Should it concern me--Common State Standards

What does this mean for me/homeschooling? Is it silly that its bothering me?

Last night I came across a mention of recently adopted “Core State Standards†on a state education website. I looked around and found that the “Core State Standards†are a new approach intended to make the education standards consistent in every state for every grade. Essentially, it sets up standards for the US or at least that is the push. What is bothering me is Kentucky adopted them in February and then (I believe, quick count) 32 other states adopted this summer! That’s a huge portion of states and incredibly quick. I would imagine there is some incentive like money for adoption that set that pace.

What I’m wondering is should it bother me if my kids are learning something different than the school educated kids across the nation are at least being expected to learn? Do you think it doesn't matter if a curriculum is solid? This is really bugging me for some reason.

http://www.corestandards.org/ Webpage

The Common Core State Standards provide a consistent, clear understanding of what students are expected to learn, so teachers and parents know what they need to do to help them. The standards are designed to be robust and relevant to the real world, reflecting the knowledge and skills that our young people need for success in college and careers. With American students fully prepared for the future, our communities will be best positioned to compete successfully in the global economy.

Whether and to what extent these standards will impact your homeschool depends on the homeschooling laws of the state where you live. Here in Texas, it would make no difference whatsoever.

Speaking as a former ps teacher, I think national standards are a great idea: kids move around a lot, and it is crazy that they would end up 'behind' because their old school did division in the 4th grade but their new school does it in the 3rd grade. Of course, this assumes that the standards are good. I haven't studied them, so can't comment on that aspect.

My understanding of these is that the federal government is not involved at all and there are in fact no attached incentives. There is a built in incentive, in that each state could potentially spend considerably less money designing their own standardized tests if they are able to use tests that are being purchased/paid for/used by many other states. Spreading the cost around, so to speak.

As long as the federal government stays out and it is truly a state initiated program, as it is now, I don't have a problem with it.

What I’m wondering is should it bother me if my kids are learning something different than the school educated kids across the nation are at least being expected to learn? Do you think it doesn't matter if a curriculum is solid? This is really bugging me for some reason.

http://www.corestandards.org/ Webpage

Meh. I do like the Core Knowledge books and make sure my kiddo is at least familiar with the history covered. In general, when it comes to music and art and science, we are ahead of it, and at least at it for math and reading. It helps me remember things I've forgotten to teach him (e.g. proverbs we don't use in our family).

There are so many educational fads, they blur together for me. Good fundamentals and a curious mind will better serve than anything else. Remember, public schools are trying to pick the bottom up. There are unfortunate kids out there whose parents are glued to the Boob Tube, who do not use good grammar, and don't calculate price per oz. to find the best deal. While I understand their motive (and it keeps some people employed coming up with these things:glare:), I also worry that having everything so pre-chewed discourages the creative one-of-a-kind teachers that stand out here and there in my memory.

But for me as a hser? Meh.

I homeschool through a public charter school which follows the classical education model. California State standards say that students should be learning American History in 5th grade (at least I think that's what the state standards say! I could be wrong) but in our school we are learning Modern World History for all grades. If a public charter school can do that, I don't think there should be any problem for a private homeschooler if they choose to teach something other than the state standards.