Menu

Alpha Omega Life Pacs

My girls really enjoy these. They have found them to be a breathe of fresh air coming away from Sonlight. Currently we use them for History and Science. Has anyone used Lifepacs for Language arts 7th grade and up.

I would supplement with Wordly Wise, and PP guides. Just wondering if anyone has used them for highschool LA

I thought they had odd terminology, but have a friend that really likes AOL Lifepaks for Language Arts. Is there a way you can look at one? There are some samples online, I looked at a homeschool bookstore, they let me open them up and peek.

No, I am only going by the samples I see online. What grades does your friend use them for?

We are using them for 9th grade history and liking them quite a bit. Like you, we are finding them a breath of fresh air. Dd said history was a "relief" now after literature approach!

HollyDay,

Are you using Civics/Geography, or World History? Would you please tell me more about it?

We are doing Civics and World Geography. Dd likes it quite a bit. She is 3/4 through book 2. So far it is covering US history and government. Topics have included pilgrims, revolutionary war, articles of confederation, changes in society, declaration of independence, structure of government, etc.

Dd likes it because the layout is very straight forward with reading and Q/A. I like it because it asks the student to think, draw conclusions, and support their answers. Writing assignments are also included. We have covered some of the history already (pilgrims and such), but the review is good - not too much, not too little. It takes what we have covered, expands on it, and asks the students to think about it differently than we have before. The new information is explained very well, simply and straight forward. It is not difficult or confusing.

I think this is a "sleeper" program. I had not heard much about it before choosing to use it. It is certainly not a classical program in that literature is not used (although occasionally recommended) nor is history taught chronologically. (I think this is the primary reason I had not heard about it.) It is not choppy like many of the other lifepacs courses. We found American Lit, for example, to be extremely choppy and chose not use it. The questions are usually fill in the blank type. For example: "What is the purpose of the legislative branch?" Each lifepac has self tests and 1 overall test. It is not as dry as BJU or Abeka (IMHO) but others might disagree with that opinion.

Does that answer what you needed?

Edited by HollyDay

We are doing Civics and World Geography. Dd likes it quite a bit. She is 3/4 through book 2. So far it is covering US history and government. Topics have included pilgrims, revolutionary war, articles of confederation, changes in society, declaration of independence, structure of government, etc.

Dd likes it because the layout is very straight forward with reading and Q/A. I like it because it asks the student to think, draw conclusions, and support their answers. Writing assignments are also included. We have covered some of the history already (pilgrims and such), but the review is good - not too much, not too little. It takes what we have covered, expands on it, and asks the students to think about it differently than we have before. The new information is explained very well, simply and straight forward. It is not difficult or confusing.

I think this is a "sleeper" program. I had not heard much about it before choosing to use it. It is certainly not a classical program in that literature is not used (although occasionally recommended) nor is history taught chronologically. (I think this is the primary reason I had not heard about it.) It is not choppy like many of the other lifepacs courses. We found American Lit, for example, to be extremely choppy and chose not use it. The questions are usually fill in the blank type. For example: "What is the purpose of the legislative branch?" Each lifepac has self tests and 1 overall test. It is not as dry as BJU or Abeka (IMHO) but others might disagree with that opinion.

Is this under the ninth grade level, or are you using the civics elective course?

Cathy Duffy gives the highschool level Language arts program a very good review so does Rainbow Resource, that is why I was interested in it.

My dd is also using the 10th grade world history program and "I" really like it so far. The information is great and I think it's a great program.

We use ACE for Science which is working well, will most likely stick with it, but wasn't sure of their upper level histories either...Hard to decide which one

Thank you, HollyDay. That does help. Dd's literature load this year is high (her choice) so I'm looking for something for History that will keep History fresh in her mind but not be a waste of time. I'd like it to add to what she's learned, but not take too much time. Not asking too much, am I?

Rhea

Cathy Duffy gives the highschool level Language arts program a very good review so does Rainbow Resource, that is why I was interested in it.

My dd is also using the 10th grade world history program and "I" really like it so far. The information is great and I think it's a great program.

We use ACE for Science which is working well, will most likely stick with it, but wasn't sure of their upper level histories either...Hard to decide which one

Ooh, Cheri, you're using the one I'm thinking about. Can you tell me anything more? Do you find it to be HS level in what is covered and the questions asked? Is it thought provoking? (I've looked over all the samples, but they're just too short to get a good picture.)

Rhea

Ooh, Cheri, you're using the one I'm thinking about. Can you tell me anything more? Do you find it to be HS level in what is covered and the questions asked? Is it thought provoking? (I've looked over all the samples, but they're just too short to get a good picture.)

Rhea

Yes, it is thought provoking! It is not like ACE where you can go back and copy the answers. You really have to go back and maybe read it over again and come to your own conclusions, however the information is there! I had to help my dd the first few days because I told her she was going to have to work a bit to find the answers. However she now has it where she is getting the hang of it, and it's not taking as long. And is it definately HIGHSCHOOL level!

I really REALLY like this style of homeschooling. Years of Sonlight left us dreading history. I felt we were doing history for 5 hours a day. Now we are done in 30 minutes or so. The teacher's manual also gives ideas and extra assignments if you like.

This is why I am so tempted to just go and buy the Language Arts now. Currently we are using LLATL Tan, but it's so simple. It's like what my dd did in second or third grade. I know you are supposed to stick with LLATL to see results, but I really think it's not her learning style. She loves workbooks/textbooks however I felt BJU and Abeka were over the top and WAAAAAY too much info to process! AO is straight-forward get it done and know they are learning what they need to learn!

Yes, it is thought provoking! It is not like ACE where you can go back and copy the answers. You really have to go back and maybe read it over again and come to your own conclusions, however the information is there! I had to help my dd the first few days because I told her she was going to have to work a bit to find the answers. However she now has it where she is getting the hang of it, and it's not taking as long. And is it definately HIGHSCHOOL level!

Thank you, Cheri! That is very good to know.

Rhea

hi CHeri!

For Lit, I'm using LLATL Gold American. It is very smooth and covers all the ground I wanted it to cover (mood, plot line, etc). Dd is reading other books outside this program due to interest or to support science (and some history).

Edited by HollyDay

Hi Ladies,

I posted on the K-8 board, but haven't gotten any responses. I'm hoping someone here might have input.

If you've used, or seen up close, AOP Lifepacs for General Science I (7th), General Science II (8th), 7th Grade History and Geography, and/or 8th Grade US History, would you please let me know what you thought of them?

I have looked at the samples online. Just hoping to learn more before deciding.

Thank you!

Rhea