Menu

from Omnibus to MFW...

Well, I was all set to do Omnibus II this year when my daughter informed me that she really does NOT want to do this. She has really been stressed out about it and not looking forward to starting school this year. I actually agree with her :001_huh:... I just don't feel like Omnibus is right for her personality.

My oldest daughter has done several years of Omnibus online and she LOVED it, but my younger daughter is a totally different person!! She is just not an Omnibus type of girl and that's okay too, ya know. I really want her to look forward to learning and not be stressed out. She has lots of interests (horses, science, math), but reading the Great Books is not one of them.

Anyway, I am frantically looking at other things and feel a real peace about MFW for some reason. I have never used it before. I would start her in year 2 because she just finished studying the Ancients last year. Plus, she is in 10th this year and I would like to continue with years 3 & 4 to finish out her school career.

I guess I am looking for confirmation that this is okay...that we don't have to do a Great Books program to be well educated. AND what I would love to hear are success stories (or not) from people who have used year 2 of MFW. What were your experiences? I've read some reviews for year 1, but not much about year 2.

:bigear:

I guess I am looking for confirmation that this is okay...that we don't have to do a Great Books program to be well educated. AND what I would love to hear are success stories (or not) from people who have used year 2 of MFW. What were your experiences? I've read some reviews for year 1, but not much about year 2.

:bigear:

There will be some great books in MFW program. I can't compare it to Omnibus as I haven't used it. MFW isn't just "great books".

If you have a peace, that should be the confirmation :)

there's probably not a lot of reviews out there yet on MFW's WHL program. This previous year was the first year on the general market (after it was piloted before that), so combine that with how not all people using something are online chatters..... so don't let the lack of reviews play into it. I'm just saying one reason you may not hear a lot about it just yet.

I have friends who used the pilot version and they did fine. One of the teens told me once that he didn't like Church History in Plain Language book all that much. But that was the only negative that he grumbled about.

-crystal (my oldest is in AHL this year)

I don't know what WVWW is, but I can tell you that my dd loves the layout of MFW lesson plans. Very easy for her to get that "week overview" and check things off as she goes. Easy for me to check up on, too. ;) Instructions are written directly to the student, and she works mostly independently unless she needs to "talk out" something.

I was searching for what to do for dd for this school year. I found a thing or two I thought might be okay, but they took so much planning and I'm not so good at that! Then I heard about MFW. I had already gotten something for this school year, so looked into it for dd's 10th grade year. As I looked at it, I was impressed, and I felt "at peace" with it too. It just seemed right. I ended up ditching what I had, and got the MFW AHL for this year (9th grade). DD is actually looking forward to starting it (we start next week), and I love the layout, and lesson plans, and......well, pretty much all of it! I hope I'm saying the same thing at this time next year! :)

I know, I have not answered you specific questions about year 2, but I wanted to confirm the feeling that "this is right for my dd" and the idea of using it as a fairly rigorous curriculum for high school! Best wishes!

Crystal, are you sure you don't work for MFW? :D I swear they need to know how well you represent them!

Brindee, how long did it take for you to get your MFW stuff in? I am exactly like you. Had it all planned out and now changing my mind due to lack of peace. I think I may order this evening. ;) Wondering how long it takes to come in. Did you just order everything directly through them?

Okay, I am going with MFW, and now I am wondering the same thing-how long does it take to come in ? :) Nothing like being last minute.

I ordered mine on May 5 (Wed.) and received the package on May 10 (Mon.). UPS doesn't deliver on Saturday, so that day and Sunday the box just sat around. Oh, I remember now! It actually arrived on at 1 a.m. Saturday morning at our local UPS main hub. They were not open so I had to wait until Monday to have it delivered. :glare: So, if I had ordered on Tuesday, it would have been delivered on Friday. That's pretty fast! :)

Crystal, are you sure you don't work for MFW? :D I swear they need to know how well you represent them!

at first I didn't want to answer out loud, but....

awww.. thanks for your kind words. :grouphug:

want a quick story? (I should be embarrassed to say this one)

yeah, I'm sure I don't work there. My work application to go on staff with MFW was rejected twice. twice. I ain't applying a third time. that's for certain.

I just like the curriculum and like helping others who might want to try it. They let me volunteer in their convention booth a few times and gave me some food for it. It was their way of saying thanks for typing too much. I guess I failed my interview in the booth. :lol: I think it's because I'm too short. :lol:

but yeah, agreeing with the others: MFW is really known for fast shipping year around. It's almost like the old bugs bunny cartoons where they drop the letter in the mail to ACME and it shows up the next scene.

-crystal

I just like the curriculum and like helping others who might want to try it. They let me volunteer in their convention booth a few times and gave me some food for it. It was their way of saying thanks for typing too much. I guess I failed my interview in the booth. :lol: I think it's because I'm too short. :lol:

:hat:

If you'd wear the hat, they might hire you. Wouldn't want to lose you in the warehouse.... liability and all that. :D

Brindee, how long did it take for you to get your MFW stuff in? I am exactly like you. Had it all planned out and now changing my mind due to lack of peace. I think I may order this evening. ;) Wondering how long it takes to come in. Did you just order everything directly through them?
Sorry, it's taken me awhile, just getting back on after a busy week!

I didn't order everything from them. I looked and searched and found good deals! HOWEVER, they DO give you a break for ordering the whole package, and I ended up being not nearly as much below their price as I thought I'd be! It was fun searching, and it was GREAT fun getting little packages from different places (I bought lots from Amazon), but if you want to just get it so you can get started, I'd get the whole package from them. It's quicker and easier....and really not that much more expensive!

What I DID order from them didn't seem to take very long at all. It was here in good time, I just can't remember exactly how long it took.

Not sure if that's much help... We just started school today, and dd did her first little assignments. Not much is assigned for the first day. We enjoyed the Bible discussion time, and she figured out what she is doing her first paper on. I think we're going to really like this!

• 2 weeks later...

My dd started AHL (year 1) last February. We've used nearly all of the MFW elementary programs in previous years.
Hi Donna--We got through the first week, paper and all, of MFW AHL! :D I really like it! Even though I warned her, dd was still surprised at having to do that paper the very first week. She's curious as to why they do that! But, we made it through, and are almost done with week 2. She feels some of the readings are repetitive, but is enjoying it so far! I'm happy we finally get to get going with it! :001_smile:

Hi Donna--We got through the first week, paper and all, of MFW AHL! :D I really like it! Even though I warned her, dd was still surprised at having to do that paper the very first week. She's curious as to why they do that! But, we made it through, and are almost done with week 2. She feels some of the readings are repetitive, but is enjoying it so far! I'm happy we finally get to get going with it! :001_smile:

You know, I look at it as an introduction to, and foundation for, bigger things to come. She learned (from scratch) and completed a task in that first week out of the gate that would help to build her discernment and APOLOGETICS for everything she'd be studying in the coming year. It's about more than just learning how to write a certain kind of paper. That too, but if you consider *what* they're studying in AHL and the years to come, and what follows (college and the adult world), they NEED to learn how to stand up for their own beliefs. Writing an argumentative paper that very first week was only the beginning. ;)

We just got done with week 1, too!

Like Donna, I figure she is setting the stage for the year by having kids learn the format and write on anything they want this first week. There is also more parent-time in the first week, so we can go through that first paper with them. Later in the year, we may not be paying as much attention.

It was a great week for our family -- we're trying to do the Old Testament as a family with discussion, and so-far-so-good. One week down, 35 to go :)

Julie

Just want to pipe in a little late. My dh is out of town, so we have been out of normal routine. :)

My dd did AHL last year. This year she is doing WHL. We are in week 5 and she is loving it as well. She loves having it all planned out. MFW really does a wonderful job with the lesson plan book written to the student. It even tells them when to read or do something with their parent. The different readings go well with the weeks lessons.

Before we ever used MFW, I never felt a peace with what we were using. When I came across MFW and looked over it, I knew it was a fit for us. It still took me hours and hours of researching other curriculum... to make sure I wasn't going to make a mistake. My husband finally told me I should order MFW since I felt so much peace about it every time I read through the brochure! I did and ordered ECC and it was the best year we ever had. We only strayed once since then and it was a mistake. We have used MFW ever since and my dc love it and can't wait to get started each year. They are 14 and 16 now and still love to go through the box!

I love the peace we all have with using MFW. Even when my dc are struggling with something, they trust what they are learning and the books they are using and it seems to help get through it somehow. I'm not sure if that makes since, but it's comforting to trust what you are using. If I can put it that way.

Blessings~

Nicole

Okay, I am going with MFW, and now I am wondering the same thing-how long does it take to come in ? :) Nothing like being last minute.

What were you guys using before that you didn't have peace about? I'm glad to know I'm not the only one ;).

Did you order the AHL? Did you get it yet?

I had TruthQuest. I liked it a lot! I like MFW's all-inclusinveness with Bible/History/English, and I LOVE the Lesson Plans! If I'd never found MFW, I think we would've had a fine year with TQ.....it just wouldn't have been quite right! MFW gives me more peace that she's getting a fairly rigorous program as she needs for highschool!

What did you decide to do? Did you order the MFW AHL? We're loving it here!

You know, I look at it as an introduction to, and foundation for, bigger things to come. She learned (from scratch) and completed a task in that first week out of the gate that would help to build her discernment and APOLOGETICS for everything she'd be studying in the coming year. It's about more than just learning how to write a certain kind of paper. That too, but if you consider *what* they're studying in AHL and the years to come, and what follows (college and the adult world), they NEED to learn how to stand up for their own beliefs. Writing an argumentative paper that very first week was only the beginning. ;)
Good advice. Thank you! In the long-run it wasn't as bad as she thought it would be. She turned out a fine paper! The thought of it was worse than the actual process once she got rolling! :tongue_smilie:

We just got done with week 1, too!

Like Donna, I figure she is setting the stage for the year by having kids learn the format and write on anything they want this first week. There is also more parent-time in the first week, so we can go through that first paper with them. Later in the year, we may not be paying as much attention.

It was a great week for our family -- we're trying to do the Old Testament as a family with discussion, and so-far-so-good. One week down, 35 to go :)

Julie

So, Julie, did you start August 30? It's cool we started around the same time and are using the same thing! :001_smile:

I am studying along in the "Taking the Old Test. Challenge." I write the answers in a notebook, then we have discussions on Friday, which I enjoy! I am reading through another book as well this year, so I'm not doing the Job readings, just the Genesis ones for now. I think it's neat that your family is going through the OT together!

My dd did AHL last year. This year she is doing WHL. We are in week 5 and she is loving it as well. She loves having it all planned out. MFW really does a wonderful job with the lesson plan book written to the student. It even tells them when to read or do something with their parent. The different readings go well with the weeks lessons.

Before we ever used MFW, I never felt a peace with what we were using. When I came across MFW and looked over it, I knew it was a fit for us. It still took me hours and hours of researching other curriculum... to make sure I wasn't going to make a mistake. My husband finally told me I should order MFW since I felt so much peace about it every time I read through the brochure! I did and ordered ECC and it was the best year we ever had. We only strayed once since then and it was a mistake. We have used MFW ever since and my dc love it and can't wait to get started each year. They are 14 and 16 now and still love to go through the box!

I love the peace we all have with using MFW. Even when my dc are struggling with something, they trust what they are learning and the books they are using and it seems to help get through it somehow. I'm not sure if that makes since, but it's comforting to trust what you are using. If I can put it that way.

Blessings~

Nicole

Nice! I'm glad you shared! I like discussing MFW stuff, and knowing that others are going through it too. I likes seeing the questions and comments, so I hope we can all continue to "keep in touch"! :001_smile:

So, Julie, did you start August 30? It's cool we started around the same time and are using the same thing! :001_smile:

I am studying along in the "Taking the Old Test. Challenge." I write the answers in a notebook, then we have discussions on Friday, which I enjoy! I am reading through another book as well this year, so I'm not doing the Job readings, just the Genesis ones for now. I think it's neat that your family is going through the OT together!

Nice! I'm glad you shared! I like discussing MFW stuff, and knowing that others are going through it too. I likes seeing the questions and comments, so I hope we can all continue to "keep in touch"! :001_smile:

Brindee,

We started the day after Labor Day, so it was September. We're in week 2. Are you ahead of us? There's a mfwhs yahoo group that has helped me think through a few things. For instance, my son picked such a huge topic for his first essay that he could have written an encyclopedia, but then I realized he was just like I used to be in college :)

And yes, doing Bible as a family has been a blessing. My dh has been in the hospital again so he missed a couple lessons and he wanted to listen over the phone today as we caught up together. What a wonderful example he sets for our son!

Julie

Brindee,

We started the day after Labor Day, so it was September. We're in week 2. Are you ahead of us? There's a mfwhs yahoo group that has helped me think through a few things. For instance, my son picked such a huge topic for his first essay that he could have written an encyclopedia, but then I realized he was just like I used to be in college :)

And yes, doing Bible as a family has been a blessing. My dh has been in the hospital again so he missed a couple lessons and he wanted to listen over the phone today as we caught up together. What a wonderful example he sets for our son!

Julie

We're in Week 3 right now, so I guess we're only a week apart.

What a blessing your husband is being for your son! That's great! My dh is like that too, and I am so thankful!

DD ended up changing the topic she started out with (for the paper from the first week) because it was too broad, so she found something that she could more easily narrow down and went with that. :001_smile: It was a good process to figure out, and we both learned from it! Now she's working on the paper that's due tomorrow. There's not as much "hand-holding" with this one, and I haven't seen it yet, but she's been researching it and I saw from a distance parts of what she'd worked out so far. I told her I need to see the rough draft this afternoon so we can go over it and she can redo parts of it that she needs to and turn in the final draft tomorrow.

Working on it here too! :D She WANTS to do a good job, so I want her to feel I trust her to follow through. If this doesn't work, I'll do more overseeing next time! :001_smile:
Her rough copy was too short, so she worked some more, and it ended up being a great paper! I am so loving MFW so far! :001_smile:

Her rough copy was too short, so she worked some more, and it ended up being a great paper! I am so loving MFW so far! :001_smile:

My son tends the other way. Not necessarily too long but too many ideas that if he really covered them well, it would be a book.

We're loving MFW's high school, too. Even my son is very pleased with how much he's learning and the amount of time he's taking. I'm very relieved about that!