Menu

BHAGs

(Bee-Hags) Big Hairy Audacious Goals, from "Built to Last," Collins and Porras.

Do you have any? I have two that keep nagging at me, year after year:

1. To escape, alone, to a primitive cabin in the North Woods for a 30 day fast, prayer and meditation, writing sabbatical. (I suppose that's not so big or audacious - but I would come back pretty hairy)

2. To hike across America (South to North).

Not sure I'll ever do either of these things. But some days...the dream keeps me going.

I'm seeking company for #2. :D

I have a few goals to hang over my head often.

Your #1 sounds awesome, but I don't know about the food part.

My big #1: Someday, I will finish my master herbalist certification and have a career in herbal medicine. That's the plan.

A few years ago a friend and I talked often about hiking the A Trail together. Then I read "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson. There are places where it sounds like party time, no thanks. Parts of that book were pretty crude, but it showed me that on the weekends the primitive campsites for the hikers are packed with people who like to drink a lot and smoke a lot.

There are other trails. I have hiked parts of the A Trail in Skyline Drive; but one part was a very steep, gravelly grade and I was definitely not in shape for it.

Going across country would be east to west though, not south to north, unless you mean the Keys to Washington.:tongue_smilie:

A different friend, when she was 18, hiked the A trail alone, first Maryland to Georgia. Her dad picked her up and took her to Maine, she hiked back to Maryland. Yes, alone. She is still a tough chickie.

There are stories of old ladies hiking the trail and I am no longer a spring chicken, but not a wise old hen yet either.:D

My big #1: Someday, I will finish my master herbalist certification and have a career in herbal medicine.

Ah, that sounds like a good one! I have a ton of books on herbal remedies/medicine, but couldn't tell you what any herb is used for or how to identify it in the wild. :)

To publish a book

And... as for YOUR number 2, I'll be happy to follow you in my RV and keep an eye out for you at least. Not that I have an RV. But I would like to have one and travel all the states in it. lol.

I can't believe I left "The Book" off my BHAG list! I think we each have at least one book in us.

Yes, I'll need RV backup, I'm sure.

Start a big organic faith based, organic farming community for autistic male adults, including my own son...

Ah, that's awesome. My husband would like to one day be in a position to buy a huge ranch and start some kind of boys' camp or youth retreat.

Thanks for sharing!

I just want to finish college. I will be the first person in my entire family to do so when I finally make it.

Keep at it! It took me 13 years to get my degree. :) I've wanted to go back to school, too, but for something totally impractical that I love to study.

I've long wanted to hike the entire Appalachian Trail. The few people I've told this to have looked at me like I'm crazy, but still. Let me know when you're going...I figure I can do it when I'm done homeschooling, in approximately 7 or 8 years.

My other BHAG (love that acronym, btw!) is taking flying lessons...again, no one thinks I'm serious. What's up with that?

And what is it that you want to go back to school for?:bigear:

Something to do with archaeology and history and religion. Impractical because it wouldn't likely result in a new career for me, but might provide fodder for my writing hobby. :)

Oh, and law. I've wanted to study law, but don't want to be a lawyer.

I've long wanted to hike the entire Appalachian Trail. The few people I've told this to have looked at me like I'm crazy, but still. Let me know when you're going...I figure I can do it when I'm done homeschooling, in approximately 7 or 8 years.

My other BHAG (love that acronym, btw!) is taking flying lessons...again, no one thinks I'm serious. What's up with that?

Yep, 5-7 years, for me. Now that my boys are entering their teens, I am enjoying some freedom to pursue my back-burner interests. Still needed at home, though. :)

Ah, my husband has always wanted to learn to fly. He's obsessed with airplanes.

I've jumped out of a plane, but have no desire to pilot one.

I still won't be finished with homeschooling in 7 years, well maybe.

Certainly would be ready for a break....Everyone looks at me like I'm crazy anyway, add the AT.

Are you talking about a "thru hike"? They say if you don't do it all in trip that you are not a "thru hiker". But I read Bryson's book and he wrote that even though he chopped it up in places he still considers himself a "thru hiker".

My BHAG? To read analytically history and literature from ancient times to modern and write about it. Every time I get started something happens. Every. Single. Time.

Wouldn't that be wonderful! The more time you let pass, the more work you're going to have to do. :)