Menu

First Day of School

s.shaffer

We decorate our "school area" with streamers. I put new covers on our portfolios with fun clipart. The night before school starts I bake and frost a cake. After a nice dinner we surprise them with the cake and tell the kids "By eating the cake you are promising to do your very best this school year" not a sigle person has turned down the cake :) Have fun!

I get the girls each a bag of fun things. Typically I fill the bag with school supplies (fun notebooks, folders, markers, pencils, etc), a new shirt or something like that (usually found on clearance), some candy, stickers, a new book, and any other small things I can think of. This year they both needed backpacks, so I filled them up instead of a gift bag. I also make certificates that have their name on it, the date, and the First Day of ____ Grade. They love these!

Have fun!! ;)

We do the surveys, make school shirts, take pictures, get new supplies, go out for lunch, etc. You can read about our first day this year here.

Happy Homeschooling! Hope you have a great first day and a blessed year!

:iagree:I went to check out her blog and got great first day ideas. We just completed our first day today including the first day survey she mentioned and my DS kinder loved it! We did a family breakfast and also took a nature walk to a park to play. Great first day! And the nana's love the first day pics! :thumbup:

I plan to have the kids make a "back to school wreath"- I saw the idea in a magazine. So I bought a plain wreath and things to decorate it with that say "school" to us. And we're going to do that and hang it on our front door.

We'll take first day of school pictures with the kids holding something saying their grades and the year or something, maybe their height and weight and stuff like that. Maybe we'll have them add their handprints somewhere (using fingerpaint).

We'll do our first day of schoolwork (which will include setting up a "fall seasonal table" for my Kindergartener), and then we'll have ice cream cake after lunch. I think I'm going to get a "Happy First Day Of School" Dairy Queen ice cream cake or something for a treat :D

Have fun!!

We do the surveys, make school shirts, take pictures, get new supplies, go out for lunch, etc. You can read about our first day this year here.

Happy Homeschooling! Hope you have a great first day and a blessed year!

I checked out your blog, it is so cute! You have a lot of ideas that I think I'll use. I especially love the survey idea.

Thanks too for the other suggestions everyone posted. I like the ideas of a nature walk, going on a picnic, baking their favorite cookies. I'm getting excited myself!