Menu

How useful are k12 student and teacher pages without anything else?

amys

The subject says it all. I'm just curious how much content is actually in the student and teacher pages, and how much is online. Can you do much with just the printed pages? (I'm sure it varies by course and level; I'm just looking for an idea here.)

The subject says it all. I'm just curious how much content is actually in the student and teacher pages, and how much is online. Can you do much with just the printed pages? (I'm sure it varies by course and level; I'm just looking for an idea here.)

Obviously, you would need to have the text/materials that the pages were designed to accompany. I've done the 3rd and 4th grade lit programs with the S/T pages and books without the online portion--it only lacked the novel studies-- and am planning to do the world history (have the materials for the first volume of Human Odyssey currently). It looks quite doable for my purposes (not identical to the k12 course though) without the online component, but not as complete as the literature was.

I could probably do the K12 American History from 5th & 6th grade with just the teacher guides and student books. There isn't much online to use. We'd miss some assessments, but I can't see how those are integral to the program. But dd12 loves the program as is, so I keep paying for it.

It really depends on the grade level and the subject.

For language arts, just having the printed materials is fine, especially in K-2. However, once you get to middle school and high school, the majority of the lesson is online.

For science, art and music, the printed materials would be near useless without the online content. In K-4 history, the history stories are online, and the printed materials wouldn't stand alone. In middle school history, you could do just fine with the printed materials and the texts (the Hakim books for American history and the Human Odyssey texts for world history), though you'd be missing out on some neat stuff in the world history courses.

Math would work fine if you had the texts, especially in the younger grades where it's easier to teach. As the student progresses, more of the course content is in the online portion.

For high school, using the printed materials without the online portion isn't feasible, due to the majority of content being online.

For some of the courses *all* of the content is in the student and teacher pages (and corresponding books). LA K-5 is like this. For other courses, a lot of the content is in them (along with a main text), but there are some online things like flashcards or interactive maps. History for grades 5-8 is like this. And then for other courses, at least half of the content is online and it would be impossible to get the full course without the online piece. Science for all grades, History K-4, and LA 6-8 are ones I can think of right now that are like this.

I could probably do the K12 American History from 5th & 6th grade with just the teacher guides and student books. There isn't much online to use. We'd miss some assessments, but I can't see how those are integral to the program. But dd12 loves the program as is, so I keep paying for it.

Yeah, we were with K12 when ds started the US History program, but then left K12. We've continued with the History of US series because ds enjoys it. With the teacher and student guides (and of course the History of US books that you can buy separately or even check out from the library) it's fine. There are some things we don't get (like online flash cards, interactive maps, and some mid-unit mini-assessments), but they aren't necessary.

For things like Literature, if you also have the k-12 readers (only available from k12) and track down the other books (that you can usually find at a library), it would be fine past 3rd grade or so. I think k-2 (or at least k and 1) have all the teacher guide info online only. History k-4 would be usesless without the online school. The old math program would also be fine without the online portion as long as you have the text books, but I hear the new math rolled out this year has a bigger online component. You couldn't do science without the online portion. Vocabulary is through the Wordly Wise series - so if you had those books, it would be fine. Spelling is entirely offline, as is composition (if you have the k12 composition book).