Menu

Begin with FLL 1 or 2 for my 2nd grader?

guateangel

My dd was in ps for K and 1st grade. We began hs this week and I had decided to begin with FLL1 but at an accelerated pace (goal is to finish 1 and 2 this year.) She did not retain much from ps and I felt she needed the extra review.

But, FLL is so redundant and she is beginning to get irritated when I pull the book out, even though I'm skipping through a lot of the pages. Should I completely skip through 1 and move on to 2 or continue as is?

Also, if you have a 2nd grader, would you mind sharing your weekly schedule with me?

I would keep going with 1 but skip over everything she knows. If she can repeat the definition and understand the purpose of the part of speech, she is ready to move on to the next part of speech. We did FLL1-2 all in one year with my DS when he came home from school at the end of Gr1. Nouns take so long in FLL1, we skipped most of it.

Our 2nd Gr schedule (give or take)

Maths Daily

FLL 2-3 times a week

Copywork 2 times a week

Spelling daily

Reading daily

History 2-3 times a week

Science, casually only.

We started with 1, and are doing a lesson a day. I figure we'll get at least halfway through 2 by the end of the year. DD is more interested in the lessons being short than caring that they're repetitive. If that changes, I'll likely skip a few.

I'm starting with 1 with my 2nd grader moving quickly through the repetitive stuff, but we won't do it everyday so she still may not finish 2 this year. She doesn't really like it much, but we keep the lessons very short. My ds didn't finish FLL 2 until he was in 3rd grade.

I think her schedule will look something like this:

Math 4 times a week

Bible daily

FLL 3 times a week

Spelling daily

Cursive daily

History 2 times a week

Science 2 times a week

FIAR (still trying to decide; we may only do it 3 times a week stretching each book out to 2 weeks)

Art on Friday and when it goes with FIAR

We just started FLL 1/2 this year with my 2nd grade son. We are doing multiple lessons a day and plan to finish the book by the end of the year. You have to make the call if you think it's working for your child....but I've enjoyed seeing my son learn this year by using it. One thing I like is that it's not writing....he has to write for so many other subjects, it's nice to just chat as we're learning. Plus he loves the poems to memorize....so proud to tell them to others.

Our schedule is:

We do Classical Conversations Foundations Program on Mondays so we just do the basics on Monday afternoon.

Daily :Math, Reading/Phonics, Spelling, and Classical Conversations Memory Work

Tues-Fri: FLL, WWE, Song School Latin, History and Science