Menu

Forming the letter A

But it's how you write A, "cumbersome" or not. :-)

It does help some children with potential directionality problems to know that we write lines beginning at the top of the space and going down to the base line, and yes, use that terminology. We also write horizontal lines in the direction that we read and write [e.g., left to right]. Those are concepts (and verbage) that can be applied to several letters.

I always feel like a hypocrite when I deal with the letter "A" because *I* write it exactly like you suggest w/ an upside down V.

And it irritates me that they say that the teaching is based on what brings speed as a proficient writer - which this clearly doesn't do. :glare:

A lot of it has to do with muscle memory. If you always start letters at the top, then you brain will automatically (eventually) take your hand to the top every time. Once it becomes automatic, you can write faster. While it isn't a big deal for us as adults, it is a huge deal for children. Even Handwriting without Tears has the A starting at the top with 3 strokes and it is designed to be one of the easiest scripts for a child to learn. Otherwise the chld wonders why A is started at the bottom and R is at the top.. Then some child (probably one of mine) will ask why they cant do the middle line first...

Good point Dobela - mine would say the same thing :-)

Isnt "G" made with one stroke so you are making a horiz line from r to l though?? I thought that was how ZB did it - maybe that's different since you aren't starting the letter.

That is how I have seen it done. When I was a child though we picked up the pencil and went left to right making a 'T'. I haven't looked at ZB in a long time though. When using HWT, the top curve of those letters is fairly flat and starts just to the right of center.

Letters mostly should start at the top. It matters in how well the letter turns out. The up stroke is not as straight and definite as the down, so could result in a wobbly looking letter and then starting letters with an upstroke becomes a habit and it does make a difference in the quality of the letters. So persevere. i find that I have had to retrain myself of a few bad habits, so I can set a good example and practice what I preach. It's good to keep flexible.