Menu

What is a Mom to do?

I just received an email telling me that the French co-op class my soon-to-be 9th grader was going to be in, will not happen. It was even going to be with a native French speaker.

I'm disappointed but happy that this fell through now rather than in a month. DS doesn't really care whether or not he takes a foreign language. Having a foreign language, at least 2 years, is a non-negotiable item on his course schedule. I need DS to be in a class for this one too.

What are the alternatives and oh my, is it too late to sign up for another class? Suggestions?

I was over looking at Potter School and was wondering if anyone here has had their child take a class from Barbara Starosciak? (Is there anyway we can see teacher reveiws on their site?)

Carole

If so, Delaware is one of the states that offers free access http://www.dcet.k12.de.us/dvs/to Florida Virtual School, an online school that provides fully accredited courses (or a single course) to students through the Senior high school grade.

Students can take regular, honors, and/or AP courses through FLVS.

Here is a link to the their course list: http://www.flvs.net/areas/flvscourses/Pages/Course%20Catalog/CourseListing-OutofState.aspx You will see quite a selection of languages!

Hmm, I just looked at your post and saw that you want French. Is there a particular reason for that?

Edited by distancia

DS is interested in taking French or German and so we are leaning toward French. We had a French exchange student this summer and it worked out quite well. We're already planning for a visitor for next summer and have invited this past student to visit us again. DS will be able to talk to him throughout the coming year.

You are correct that we're in Delaware however homeschooled students do not take classes from the PS. At least in my district. The relationship is far from a friendly one between ps and hs'ers too. Yep, far from friendly...... The PS are the ones implementing DE Virtual Schools. From what I read seats are allocated to individual PS who then decide which of their students get a seat. It also appears that:

Online learning: The state opened the Delaware Virtual School pilot program beginning in the 2008-09 school year, however the state lacked the funds to fully implement the program.

It would have been nice though. I have a hs friend in FL whose kids take a few classes through FL VS, and through the PS. It almost makes me want to move there.

Thanks for the effort.

Carole

Edited by Blue Hen
remove a 'v'

In this post, RENEEinVA says, "My younger dd absolutely loves Madame Starosciak (TPS) for French. I cannot recommend her highly enough."

And in this post, LynnG in Hawaii said, "French - DD#2 took French I last year and is in French II this year. Same teacher (Madame Starosciak). Unqualified positive recommendation here. Moderately rigorous but manageable. We've been pleased with the teacher in every way."

And here, mommyofthree says, "Hits: French with TPS (Mrs Starosciak is awesome)"

Sounds good to me, Blue Hen!

Regards,

Kareni

I just received an email telling me that the French co-op class my soon-to-be 9th grader was going to be in, will not happen. It was even going to be with a native French speaker.

I'm disappointed but happy that this fell through now rather than in a month. DS doesn't really care whether or not he takes a foreign language. Having a foreign language, at least 2 years, is a non-negotiable item on his course schedule. I need DS to be in a class for this one too.

What are the alternatives and oh my, is it too late to sign up for another class? Suggestions?

I was over looking at Potter School and was wondering if anyone here has had their child take a class from Barbara Starosciak? (Is there anyway we can see teacher reveiws on their site?)

Carole

My dd took French IV with Madame Starosciak this past year, after using Rosetta Stone and French in Action. Her biggest beef with the class was the lack of pronunciation and grammar correction. Having said that, she did extremely well on the French AP - but she also self-studied mostly.