Menu

creative writing

jabuford

whenever I give my children 10 and 12 a topic to write on they can't write but maybe a sentence. My son's topic he chose was What bugs me. Well he picked his sister. He wrote one sentence and said he was done. I told him to write anything and he wrote "anything". I told this to write for 15 minutes, he didn't make but maybe 3. What do I do to change this?

I give them a certain amount of writing that needs to be accomplished that day. "You need to write a paragraph of at least 4 sentences on..." or "Your short story needs to be at least 2 full, typed, single-spaced, pages."

If I make my expectations painfully clear, then, I don't have to worry about dealing with attitudes (which I did on a regular basis:glare:) if things aren't done the way I expect them to. I write the expectations for the assignment on their assignment sheet for the week and go over it verbally during our beginning of the week meeting.

Well at this age I find you can't just tell them to write things . That they need something to fall upon .

My 10 year old has struggled with writing from day 1 when we started . She could never think of anything . She didn't know where to start . Even when I sat and went through the whole process of it all . It was just a subject she absolutely HATED with a passion . It was pulling teeth . I hadn't been here on the board in quite some time and came back and a wonderful thing happened. I read a post . It was about a program called Writing Tales . So l looked into it . It looked very interesting and I thought we would give it a try . So I bought it and prayed that this would work for us .

Low and behold my oldest was very relucant to start . I think she was thinking it was the same type of drudgery that I've put them through the past three years . But I convinced her finally to give it a try . And you know what ? She LOVES it ! All the tears were gone , the yelling from me to PLEASE , PLEASE , PLEASE let's get this written and done . Gone . Its now the first subject of her day . This child has hated to write from the get go and now she loves it ! I can't be more happier .

I think the thing is at this age there are some creative little beings that can sit and write a novel if let alone to do so . And there are some children out there that need prompts . Questions to get them started . Activities to get them excited to actually make them WANT to write . And this definitley fit the bill for us . My daughter who refused to write and would ONLY copied what I wrote down , this child that would say " Uh , I don't know what to write ." Is now writing short little stories of her own and I can't be more proud of her. She just completed the 2nd story out of 15 that is in the program in record time . We just got the program last Friday and she WANTED to work on it on Saturday and Sunday !!!

You just can't tell them to write something . You need to give them the tools that will help them to become effective and efficient writers . That's all to it .

Have you looked into IEW? It really takes the 'creative' part out of creative writing until the child is ready for it. Andrew P. does a nice job of understanding and explaining why boys need more time in this area. The process of creative writing actually requires mastery in several areas - writing mechanics, spelling and creativity. The website is new and I have not looked around yet either but here is the link

http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/

I have the same problems here but my kids are much younger and my requirements focus on copywork and studied dictation. I know you are not alone in this. It takes time and persistence.

HTH

Start with Book 3. It gives more specific assignments, and so they don't have to think of what to write about. But it leaves room for their own creativity and 'voice'.

The best creative writing approach, hands down, is Writer's Jungle. But it does take the parent a while to get that off the ground, so I would start with WS3, order WJ, and plan to implement it after you have read it and digested it.

Did you write too? What did you write about? Whenever I try to sit down at the table for a "creative writing" exercise with my children, it's hard! And I like to write!

And, be glad he didn't write pages and pages about why his sister bugs him...although that might have given you some specific character building ideas for both kids! :)

No real recommendations -- I'm leaning between Classical Writing, Writing Tales, Wordsmith...have you looked at any of those? Actually, do you have a regular writing program/instruction but are trying to encourage creative writing specifically?

I've been reading some of Cindy Rushton's writings lately about kids and writing. She talk a lot about how, to write creatively, a writer needs to write about things they know and are passionate about - in other words, to write from the heart.

What do your dc love to do? What interests them? Maybe you could choose something your son enjoys, set the timer for 5 minutes, and have him write about that topic until the timer goes, then move on. Next time, maybe he could add to that. You could also have him research more about his interest topic and write down what he finds out. Maybe he'll want to make a small book about his most-loved topic and it could be a writing project for him.

Just some ideas.

HTH

Story Starters by Karen Andreola provides the beginnings of stories and then provides guidance to get the child writing. After each starter are questions that guide the child in deciding what to write. There are even word suggestions to make writing more vivid.

Story Starters by Karen Andreola provides the beginnings of stories and then provides guidance to get the child writing. After each starter are questions that guide the child in deciding what to write. There are even word suggestions to make writing more vivid.

That is a book I always wanted to get, but forget about. I am adding it to my list right now. :D