Menu

Does Pilates give similar benefits to yoga?

I don't feel comfortable practicing yoga. It's hard because I hear so much about how good it is for your body, but I've researched and prayed and it's not right for me spiritually. Would Pilates give similar health benefits? If so, what are some good Pilates DVDs that don't require large equipment?

I teach pilates and taught both yoga and pilates for years. They have a fair bit of crossover. Pilates works all the muscles but focuses on the core. Correctly done, pilates also includes a lot of flexibility work. If you are uncomfotable with yoga, by all means, go for pilates.

There are lots of good pilates videos - I like Stott pilates. If you have a good pilates studio in your area, it is worth it to take one beginner mat class. Correct form can transform a move from being ho hum to amazing and help you see results faster. If you can't do that, pay special attention to the set up and positioning. You do not need any equipment. A mat class can work your whole body very well. After you've done it for a while, if you want you can invest in a pilates circle, band and/or roller, but they are not necessary.

Oh, I just remembered when you said "circle" that I have a Winsor Pilates DVD that uses the circle (and the circle). I must not have liked it-only did it once. Maybe I should just try the mat Pilates.

I really can't take a class locally, so think I need DVDs with really good cuing.

Abbey-you read my mind-I would LOVE to take an adult ballet class. My dd's studio even offers it. However, with already paying for 3 days/wk for dd, we can't swing one for me! NYCB has a DVD I've been wanting to check out. I did ballet for 7 yrs when I was (much) younger and loved it. It is on my short list of more gentle on the knees exercises I'm trying to get into, thanks! (I'm trying to branch out from running to save my knees!)

I have decided not to practice yoga for the same reasons you mentioned. I have really enjoyed the Method Pilates DVD by Jennifer Kries. I bought my copy at Target but you may be able to borrow it from Netflix to try it out. There are other very good pilates DVDs available to try from Netflix as well. Have fun!

Oh, WAHOO!! I forgot about Netflix!! Anyone care to name other ones I can try from there before I buy? (What a great way to see if an exercise DVD actually works for you before you buy it! I have a bad back so I'm always having to buy workout dvds and then not use them if they hurt my back.) Thanks!

I have both NYCB workout DVDs, and I love them! I keep hoping that they'll make another one.

ETA: I get exercise DVDs from my library system, which has tons of options. Is that a possibility for you?

Edited by tearose
added another thought

Just a note, especially to knittingmom because I know you're trying to avoid it, I just looked on Netflix and many if not all of the Jennifer Kries Method Pilates dvds do contain yoga, including Sun Salutation, etc. Just a heads-up. You may not have realized this, or maybe the one(s) you have don't have that.