Menu

No flush niacin

I have heard that the no flush type do not work as well. At least, that is what our dr. said. My husband uses one from Walmart called Slo-Niacin. It's in a white bottle and we find ours on the bottom shelf. HTH Oh, and he takes a baby asprin 15 min or so before he takes his niacin to help with the flushing.

I take it twice a day and I buy mine at Sam's Club; it's Member's Mark Flush Free 500mg and costs about $8 for 200. It is also good for depression and gives you energy. It may keep you awake if you take it at night because it energizes you similar to exercise at bedtime. It doesn't hinder my sleeping at all. I have taken it about two years to raise my good cholesterol. It was prescribed by my cardiologist to replace another prescription that did the same but didn't agree with my intestinal well being at all. I also take baby aspirin at night with it.

Here's much more info than you are probably looking for. I've been taking niacin for years. My parents also. We never take the flush-free varieties.

NIACIN (VITAMIN B3)

When Niacin (which is a B vitamin) is taken with a statin, the combination reduces heart attack risk by 90 percent.

• Raises good HDL cholesterol and lowers triglycerides.

• It enlarges the smallest, densest, most dangerous particles so they’re less likely to damage arteries

• Brings down levels of another harmful component of blood called lipoprotein (a), which is resistant to the benefits of statins, diet, and exercise.

• Needed for proper circulation and healthy skin

• Aids in the functioning of the nervous system

• Is also a memory-enhancer. Helps prevent memory loss associated with Alzheimer’s disease

• Aids in metabolizing fats and promotes a healthy digestive system, alleviating GI disturbances.

• Helps prevent and ease severity of migraine headaches.

• Reduces high blood pressure

• Eases some attacks of diarrhea - Many people who have suffered from diarrhea and IBS for years, have had their problems cleared up in a day or two after taking niacin.

• Reduces the unpleasant symptoms of vertigo in Meniere’s disease

• Increases energy through proper use of food

• Helps eliminate canker sores and, often, bad breath

You can’t get enough niacin in your diet to achieve the above results.

To gain a cardiovascular benefit, you need at least 500 mg.

At this dosage, many commonly experience flushing, which subsides within an hour. So, it’s best to avoid taking it right before leaving the house or going to sleep. These symptoms can be minimized if the niacin is taken with aspirin or a meal. I always, always take niacin with food.

In fact, flushing is a positive sign that blood vessels are dilating in response to the niacin, and patients who flush ultimately raise their HDLs and lower their triglycerides more than those who don’t flush.

Niacin is more effective than niacinamide.

CAUTION:

• Do not take more than 2000 mg daily. Very high doses can damage the liver. One capsule of 500 mg per day is the usual recommendation, unless the doctor suggests otherwise.

• Be careful if you have prediabetes or diabetes. Niacin can raise levels of blood glucose. This effect is generally mild, though, and doesn’t outweigh its heart-protecting benefits. But it’s good to consult with your doctor before taking it.

• Also use caution if pregnant, have glaucoma, gout, liver disease, or peptic ulcers.

I take No-Flush Niacin and it is definitely better than regular Niacin. I accidentally bought the regular kind and had a major reaction 20 mins. after taking it. My skin turned bright red and hot to the touch like a sunburn. It hurt and I was so hot. It took over an hour for it to get better. Egads! I will never make that mistake again! BTW, I always take the Niacin just after dinner and with an Aspirin and I'm on Simvastatin. I can't imagine people doing that on purpose every night.

I just buy the Spring Valley brand at Walmart.

Edited by Night Elf