Menu

Budget...read inside

sheryl

Well, I'm working with my dh to improve our budget for everything. In one of my threads I mentioned we'll be spending about $1200 this next school year. Could be $1000=!400, b/c I'm still finalizing plans, BUT....

if our new budget would not allow for BOTH violin and horseback riding, which one should we drop? Or, are both equally important and we may want to consider shuffling money from another budgeted category to finance both?

Are all kids like this? But, one year she wanted to play violin and go horseback. She likes both, but is a little lazy with practicing violin. Horseback she likes, but doesn't love it. Although she'd LOVE a pair of boots, cowgirl hat etc. So, she's not as enthusiastic as she once was. :confused:

Sheryl <><

If she doesn't love horseback riding, that would be gone. It's cheaper just to buy the boots and go for the occasional pleasure ride.

I'd make music non-negotiable if I had to pick one. But then, I'm the mean mom who just made 3 of her kids start piano again. :001_smile:

If she doesn't love horseback riding, that would be gone. It's cheaper just to buy the boots and go for the occasional pleasure ride.

I'd make music non-negotiable if I had to pick one. But then, I'm the mean mom who just made 3 of her kids start piano again. :001_smile:

Hey Darla, Are you joining me for a break from cat/dog thread??? :lol:

Yes, that's a good point. Go horseback on occassion. I was considering asking them if they'd allow her to attend 2 out of 4 weeks. But, I don't know if that would be fair to them as they are looking to "fill" spaces for their class. Still, in this economy I may ask. I believe they'll say no. So, maybe I do need to rethink h.b. then. I also think violin is imporant...music. She protests only b/c she strikes a bad chord, but she's a beginner and hard on herself. Still, it turns into misery for her. Thanks. Sheryl <><

Violin will probably take her further than the riding lessons - which can always be resumed at a later date or she can go for the occasional ride thru out the year... especially if she isn't entralled with it.

Juggling the extracurriculars is so hard and SO expensive! This year we asked family to give DS the gift of some of his swim/dance/tumble classes instead of toys and such. He never plays with the toys anyway - his great gram just bought him dance lessons - which took a huge weight off my budget ($100 a month for the 2 classes he wanted) and my shoulders (having to make him drop the hip-hop that he was so excited over in favor of the basic fundamental ballet and tap). Any chance you can ask family to share the burden by giving her lessons instead of traditional bday and holiday gifts??

Hey Darla, Are you joining me for a break from cat/dog thread??? :lol:

Yes, that's a good point. Go horseback on occassion. I was considering asking them if they'd allow her to attend 2 out of 4 weeks. But, I don't know if that would be fair to them as they are looking to "fill" spaces for their class. Still, in this economy I may ask. I believe they'll say no. So, maybe I do need to rethink h.b. then. I also think violin is imporant...music. She protests only b/c she strikes a bad chord, but she's a beginner and hard on herself. Still, it turns into misery for her. Thanks. Sheryl <><

The k-8 board is usually safer. :D

Is this a lesson only type of stable? Are there no places that have just open riding?

Violin can be hard to learn. My kids take piano, but I do envy the moms whose kids have a more portable instrument sometimes. :tongue_smilie:

The k-8 board is usually safer. :D

Is this a lesson only type of stable? Are there no places that have just open riding?

Violin can be hard to learn. My kids take piano, but I do envy the moms whose kids have a more portable instrument sometimes. :tongue_smilie:

They offer lessons and free riding. The homeschool price is only $12 for one 30 min. Max kids 4-5 in a class. It really is pretty ideal, but I'm trying to be more serious with our budget...other thread. It's also 30 min drive 1 way in city driving. So, $50/mo lesson, plus gasoline. It does add up.

Violin will probably take her further than the riding lessons - which can always be resumed at a later date or she can go for the occasional ride thru out the year... especially if she isn't entralled with it.

Juggling the extracurriculars is so hard and SO expensive! This year we asked family to give DS the gift of some of his swim/dance/tumble classes instead of toys and such. He never plays with the toys anyway - his great gram just bought him dance lessons - which took a huge weight off my budget ($100 a month for the 2 classes he wanted) and my shoulders (having to make him drop the hip-hop that he was so excited over in favor of the basic fundamental ballet and tap). Any chance you can ask family to share the burden by giving her lessons instead of traditional bday and holiday gifts??[/QUOTE]

Well, this is topic for another thread...good point. :001_smile: She's getting too old for alot of the toys and I'm picky with her clothes, so I'd rather she receive gift cards and/or lesson money. I've said this to my dh for a couple of years now, and interesting you should bring it up b/c I was thinking yesterday that I really need to make this known to extended family in some tactful way. Any suggestions. :lol:

They offer lessons and free riding. The homeschool price is only $12 for one 30 min. Max kids 4-5 in a class. It really is pretty ideal, but I'm trying to be more serious with our budget...other thread. It's also 30 min drive 1 way in city driving. So, $50/mo lesson, plus gasoline. It does add up.

Well, this is topic for another thread...good point. :001_smile: She's getting too old for alot of the toys and I'm picky with her clothes, so I'd rather she receive gift cards and/or lesson money. I've said this to my dh for a couple of years now, and interesting you should bring it up b/c I was thinking yesterday that I really need to make this known to extended family in some tactful way. Any suggestions. :lol:

Oh wow!! Can I just say that at those prices, there's no way *I* could say no to horseback riding lessons! Wow! I make sure my kids take music and are in (at least) one physical activity. If I were in your shoes, I'd have such a hard time passing those riding lessons up. My kids would die for riding lessons but what you pay per month would be what I'd be looking at just for one lesson- and that's not doable for us. :(

I think both music and physical activity are very important. If I were in your shoes, I'd find other ways to cut back on the budget. IMO, you have a real fantastic opportunity available to you with those riding lessons.

Have you shopped around at lesson prices for violin? Maybe you can find a less expensive teacher?

Horse riding is $35/per hours for one child here- not the whole hour, part of that time she will learn to put the saddle on, clean the horse, get on the horse, interact with horse, and ride horse. It is very expensive, we will have to start with... once a month.