Menu

Anyone doing history the WTM-purist way for high school?

I had been thinking about Omnibus, but while glancing through the Rhetoric history section today, I was thinking, "I could really do this, and it would be *better* than Omnibus because I will get to pick the books."

Anyone doing it the WTM-purist way?

It would be nice to know I'm not alone.

I love the discussion and worldview stuff in Omnibus (although I'm not reformed), but I don't want to do some of their books. And it's just SO much to do.

I dunno. More thinking to do before next fall when DD is "officially" high school.

Our oldest is starting 9th grade this year! So, I'd like to glean some information from you ladies.

Dd plans to continue her 4 yr cycle by studying early modern (1600-1850) What history spine to you all recommend?? Do you follow WTM exactly? Does your dc read spine, list important dates/events/people, study GB, then use Timetable in History, write book context page, write book notes and finally discuss text and write a composition? This seems overwhelming, especially the discussing GB part (I am not a lit major! So, I feel a bit inadequate in discussing literature. Also many of the books I haven't read, and honestly I don't think I have the time to read them. I'm teaching 3 others and one of my dc has LDs, so majority of my time is spent teaching her).

Can you all enlighten me as to how to do this daily? That would be so helpful.

Thank you!!

Sangita

dd(14),dd(12),dd(9),ds(6)

Oh, I should add, I was planning to use Omnibus III for dd, but I wanted more history reading and a friend how had used Omni III a few years ago, said many of the books would not be her first literature choice. So, now I'm not quite sure what to use. I also looked at TOG, and that looks like a ton of work....

We are condsidering this for 9th grade and using 8th grade to strengthen dd's writing skills; i.e. outlining, short story writing, beginning poetry study and lit analysis, and essays. I just ordered a Memoria Press guide for Dorothy Mills' book, The Ancient World, to give dd some type of background in the classical world since we are coming to this without experience. MP has other guides for two Mills' books on Greece and Rome as well as Illiad, Odyssey, etc. All the MP books are being beta tested this year. After this, I think SWB's ideas will work for us, and they are affordable. TOG and MFW look excellent, but Latin, logic (maybe) and science will take most of our homeschool dollars. We need to do some home remodeling next year. Dh's company is shutting down, and while his job is secure for now, we will be moving at some point either for a transfer or another job.

Also, SWB's ideas are sensible and uncluttered.

Bonita

Dd plans to continue her 4 yr cycle by studying early modern (1600-1850) What history spine to you all recommend?? Do you follow WTM exactly? Does your dc read spine, list important dates/events/people, study GB, then use Timetable in History, write book context page, write book notes and finally discuss text and write a composition? This seems overwhelming, especially the discussing GB part (I am not a lit major! So, I feel a bit inadequate in discussing literature. Also many of the books I haven't read, and honestly I don't think I have the time to read them. I'm teaching 3 others and one of my dc has LDs, so majority of my time is spent teaching her)

Yep, that's exactly what we do. Have you listened to SWB's literary analysis lecture? It's that which gave me the courage and confidence to go ahead. I've had to listen to it several times to update my inoculations of courage and confidence and I keep it on my iPod in case I need more but really it is easier than it seems.

Btw, your ancient history notebook cover is stunning. I showed it to dd, who is our creative/visual child, and that cover alone started the wheels turning about our upcoming studies. I could see the spark of interest. Also, sent it to a friend.

Bonita

Oops, I somehow posted a QR to Stephanie in the wrong place, but this one is for Kim. Scroll down to the bottom of the MP home page and look for The Classical Teacher link. That will take you to the MP catalog. Scroll through that until you get to the article by Cheryl Lowe, "The Indispensable Classics of Classical Education." After reading that, you can see their curriculum map. Also, I called MP, and they helped me put together a plan for starting classical education with dd. At this point, they do not have the new materials back from the printer, so they are sending comb bound editions. They will replace them later.

Hth,

Bonita

can I ask where on the Memoria Press sight you found the Dorthy Mills' guides? I can't find them. We were planning to use SWB's History of the Ancient World for 9th, but I am nervous since it has no helps. The Dorthy Mills books might work instead or in addition to HoAW for us.

Thanks

Not guides, but here is a schedule of readings already matched to SWB. We aren't following it exactly but it did help me put together my own list of books.

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/40452604/Year-12-Reading-List

Btw, your ancient history notebook cover is stunning. I showed it to dd, who is our creative/visual child, and that cover alone started the wheels turning about our upcoming studies. I could see the spark of interest. Also, sent it to a friend.

Bonita

Thanks! You are too sweet. It's nice to know though that all those hours wasted putting it together maybe weren't so wasted after all. :D

I did with my two oldest, and plan to with my younger five. Keeping up with the reading so I could discuss the books was sometimes a challenge. I wouldn't have traded that experience for anything. Having the Great Conversation with my high schoolers was what I had hoped for in our homeschool experience. Tidbits from the books still come up in our conversations, and they have enriched our relationships.

GardenMom

:iagree:

We did not use the classical method with our sons, but we discussed books on occasion, and those are the homeschool memories I treasure most. When our oldest son was reading a biography on George Washington, he wrote that I reminded him of Baron von Stuben. I told him that didn't sound too flattering, and he said, "Read on, Mom." He wrote that like Baron von Stueben, I was turning "middling men" into something fine. Our son is no longer living with us or communicating with us in any way because of the influence of family members. However, those bits and pieces of writing and memories give me hope the situation will someday change.

Bonita

Edited by 1Togo

Yep, that's exactly what we do. Have you listened to SWB's literary analysis lecture? It's that which gave me the courage and confidence to go ahead. I've had to listen to it several times to update my inoculations of courage and confidence and I keep it on my iPod in case I need more but really it is easier than it seems.

Stephanie, what history spine do you recommend for hs? Specifically for 1600-1850? (that covers US & Asian countries well)?

Thanks!

Sangita

Where would I find SWB's literary analysis lecture?

Thanks!

Rhea

Stephanie, what history spine do you recommend for hs? Specifically for 1600-1850? (that covers US & Asian countries well)?

Thanks!

Sangita

I'm the wrong person to ask this question because we aren't that far along yet. We are doing the ancients and are using Spielvogel's Human Odyssey but I have the Western Civilization text as well in case I want to flesh out a topic a bit more. More than likely when we do reach that stage I will add in a US history spine, probably Johnson's A History of the American People.

You can find SWB's lectures at Peace Hill Press. Her writing lecture is well worth a listen too.

Our oldest is starting 9th grade this year! So, I'd like to glean some information from you ladies.

Dd plans to continue her 4 yr cycle by studying early modern (1600-1850) What history spine to you all recommend?? Do you follow WTM exactly? Does your dc read spine, list important dates/events/people, study GB, then use Timetable in History, write book context page, write book notes and finally discuss text and write a composition? This seems overwhelming, especially the discussing GB part (I am not a lit major! So, I feel a bit inadequate in discussing literature. Also many of the books I haven't read, and honestly I don't think I have the time to read them. I'm teaching 3 others and one of my dc has LDs, so majority of my time is spent teaching her).

Can you all enlighten me as to how to do this daily? That would be so helpful.

Thank you!!

Sangita

dd(14),dd(12),dd(9),ds(6)

That is exactly how we do it. I haven't covered that time period (will be there next year for my ds's Sr year). I did it several years ago with my oldest two, but will re-write plans for this third son, as I would like to add some books my oldest two did not read.

That is exactly how we do it. I haven't covered that time period (will be there next year for my ds's Sr year). I did it several years ago with my oldest two, but will re-write plans for this third son, as I would like to add some books my oldest two did not read.

Thanaks Tammy,

What spine would you recommend? It's hard to decide on a book spine b/c either there are no samples online or they are'nt in local book stores.

Any suggestions?

THanks